**** DONE: GB-43 1:72 Ju87 G/D - Aces' Aircraft of all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bustedwing

Tech Sergeant
Dec 6, 2005
North Delta BC
User name: Bustedwing.
First name: Graham.
Category: Advanced
Manufacturer: Revell Junkers Ju 87 G/D
Scale: 1:72
Add ons: Some scratch building and PE belts .

I plan to build this as Hans Rudels mount. Rudel is a fascinating character. I remember watching a program about WW2 and they asked a veteran pilot if he was ever scared. His reply was "any one who wasn't scared was either stupid or crazy" ! I think Rudel fit both categories. Notwithstanding his political views he was one bad a$$ pilot with a pretty impressive military career. For this build I was looking through my stash which is all Luftwaffe and nothing except a Me 110, Do 217 night fighter and a really crappy Revell Fw190 fit the bit traditional " fighter/ace wise. One always tends to think of an ace as some one who shot down a lot of planes as opposed to ships tanks, trucks and pretty much everything else. Supposedly the Soviets had a bounty on his head, must have been an ace at somethings !

Hans Rudel.jpg

Hans Rudel1.jpg

Ju87-GD (1)r.jpg

Last edited:
And so it begins. First off an extra congrats to Michael for pulling this one off in the " Heavy Hitters" build. After close inspection of the kit I can see a lot of ways it could poo poo on you ! Not a very well thought out kit but for the price there's a bit of bang for your buck. The engine will be invisible but is needed for the prop install. I plan to build up the engine with a bit more detail. I haven't decided to use it on this build or not. Toying with the idea of opening up the cowling. Mostly I just want to make a mold of the engine so I can make more of them for other kit's. The wing tips....well the outer bit of the aileron is part of the wing tip. Why they just didn't make the whole flap/aileron one separate piece I don't know. I have one wing done. Sanded off all the lines and cut some panel lines in instead. I also removed the actuators to the flaps and ailerons and made my own out of guitar strings slotted into the wing. It will be a bondo bucket though !

Ju87-GD (2)r.jpg

Ju87-GD (3)r.jpg

Ju87-GD (4)r.jpg

Nice work!

I recently completed the Frog kit, which was a fun build.

I look forward to progress on yours. Incidentally i believe Rudel flew Fw 190's briefly and amassed a number of aerial victories so may have been an Ace in the conventional sense as well.

Cheers Greg

Nasty little kit, the kind I love ! Well I made a mold for the Jumo engine and a few clones. Not going to include the engine in this build though. I've come to the conclusion that the work involved to pull off a full exposed engine would be better spent on a better kit. There are other areas the effort would be better spent. Dressing up the cockpit. Lots of room for knick knacks here and a bit of bling. Nice thing about 1:72 scale, as long as it looks busy, it looks detailed, being this scale it should be ideally viewed from 6 feet away ! Who would notice ?

Ju87-GD (11)r.jpg

Ju87-GD (12)r.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back