**** DONE: GB-44 1/48 CF-104 - Military A/C of post-war time

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That's actually correct. On the real aircraft, when the gear was lowered the main arms were placed such that the gear doors would not close completely.

CF104 Underside Starfighter Museum.JPG

842 reduced.jpg

Its shortly. Sprayed on Tamiya X-18 Gloss Black for the base coat followed by Vallejo Metal Color Chrome

IMG_0012.JPG

For masking I used the usual Tamiya to define the edges. I used Tamiya Masking Tape for Curves around the radome. To avoid wasting all my Tamiya for the fill I tried some different tape instead up the usual blue painters masking tape.

IMG_0001.JPG

I found that when I detacked the blue tape to the maximum where the tape almost refused to stick when it came time to remove it there were always a few heart stopping moments where the tape was very difficult to remove. Grabbing the green tape, I started to detack it and place it on the tail. After a minute or so the tape started to lift and curl but I persevered and kept pressing it down. Moving onto the wings I said screw it and laid the green tape down full strength, the thought being if the paint lifted the white Tamiya paint could be easily replaced. I shot the black and then after an hour, the chrome. As is my wont, I start peeling the masking tape off immediately after I clean my airbrush. If you look at the right side of the stabilizer you can see where the airbrush blew some of the detack tape aside. I'll deal with this shortly. I moved onto the wings and with great trepidation started removing the full-strength green tape. To my surprise, this tape came away easier than the Tamiya tape with absolutely no paint lift...stunned I was. Maybe I got lucky but this stuff is great so far. The one draw back with the green tape and that's even when its been detacked is that it likes to stick to itself like a scared limpet to a rock. I'll be doing a few tests with it to see how it works with Vallejo paints

Last edited:
I bought some of that green tape, from Lowes I think, for a household paint job and it was shite for that application. Some parts were sticky and some parts practically jumped off the surface like it had springs. It seems the glue was very badly applied so beware. The tackiness may vary depending on where on the roll you take the tape from. Maybe I just had a bad batch.

Anyone tried the Frog tape?
I have found it feels just like the yellow Tamiya tape, 3/4" wide abut 16 bucks here in Oz.

BTW, awsome work on this dart!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back