**** DONE: GB-45 1/48 Gloster Gladiator - BoB/Foreign Service (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hope you don't have a bit of dirt on your fork.

mungoche.jpg

Today, I screwed up the courage to tackle the placement of the upper wing. Fortunately, that's all I screwed up. After placing the model in my jig and checking alignments.I started by bending the rear interplane struts toward the locating holes which were promptly found to be too small. Out with the wing, holes drilled larger and everything reset. The rear struts were glued in first with TET and the whole thing set aside to dry. Once the rear struts were in place, another alignment check was made and then the front struts were bent and glued in with TET. Once all that had set, a final check was made and then CA was run into the joints.

20050801.jpg
20050802.jpg

That's a major hurdle now behind me and the next step will be to stiffen the assembly laterally by adding the cabane struts which, as stated earlier, are much to narrow as supplied with the kit. I've not decided whether or not I'll just add some plastic to the kit parts or just make new ones.

Thanks for looking in.

Thanks all. Got some yard work done this morning before the monsoons so hope to get more done after I finish my glass of Rioja. Then again....

Not quite that much!

Cabane's are in and I'm quite happy how they turned out. The first step was to secure the model in my jig so that I could flip it over without the thing falling out. Two elastic bands did the trick.

20050901.jpg

Next, I flipped everything over and checked the length of the kit struts. They were too long by almost 3mm and, given that they were too narrow anyway, I was happy to toss them and replace them with rectangular rod. The rod below is the right length next to the kit part.

20050902.jpg

It was tight quarters getting access but after some fiddling, I got the front two in place. After they were secured, I dabbed the ends with thick CA to create a fairing. In hindsight, I should have done the back ones first as I discovered that I could only get at them from the front and I had to squeeze around the ones I had already put in.

20050903.jpg

Et voila. All 4 are in place and secured. It was also annoying to discover that the holes on the wing for the rear struts were too far forward which would have put the struts in front of the rigging points. A quick check of my references confirmed my suspicion that this was wrong so I had to move the connection point back and that's where they are now.

20050904.jpg

And now for some......cue scary music.......RIGGING!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back