**** DONE: GB-45 1/48 Gloster Gladiator - BoB/Foreign Service

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Got the bug and finished off the Giallo Mimetico 3. I used straight Tamiya XF-59 for this.

20042702.jpg
20042703.jpg
20042704.jpg

Next up, dark green chains.

Thanks Tim. Already did one in 1/48:

110303 10 Oclock.jpg

1/72? No thanks!

Anyhoo, got going on the chainmail tonight. It's tough trying to freehand and replicate the camo pattern based on photos. You just get one kick at it because there's no good way to touch things up with that underlying pattern of 3 colours. I took the below shots from angles close to the pictures of the actual aircraft which I've re-attached. I got close but there are some variances that I may be able to fix, especially on the starboard side but, for now, I need a break!

20042801.jpg
433 Cropped.jpg

20042802.jpg
imageproxy (2).jpg

I call it impressionist art work and your art work leaves a pretty good impression. You got things a lot closer then I could, looks like they touched things up a bit too on the right side.

Real Nice Andy.

Bit late now...but a good way to help do a pattern like that (how I would do it) is to use a cut down brush with some Pastel chalk in the same or similar colour you are going to apply and lightly "paint" the pastel onto you model in a pattern of thin lines to match the photo's you have and overspray with your airbrush......

Last edited:
Thanks Wayne. I now remember you telling me that when I did my JG300 109 with the wavey camo. Shows how well I listen!

Thanks again Wayne. Well, I finally finished this crazy camo and sprayed on some selective matte clear to tie it together a bit. The insignia was flattened and I also went over the green pattern, trying to maintain the shine of the underlying silver. For the "433" stencil, I rummaged through my spares and found some old Kagero decals that matched almost perfectly, though the numbers are slightly oversized. The pic below shows them with setting solution on them and, after fixing up the 4s a tad, I'll give them a shot of matte coat as well to seal them in. I'm pretty happy how this all came out and will now turn my attention to the task of getting the upper wing on. Fun times ahead.

20050301.jpg
20050302.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back