****DONE: GB-45 1/48 Hurricane Mk.I - BoB/Foreign Service (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wayne Little

Staff
Mod
Oct 7, 2006
Adelaide Sth. Aust.
Username : Wayne Little
First name : Wayne
Category : Judge – Non competing
Scale : 1/48
Manufacturer / Model : AIRFIX
Extras : Eduard Cockpit Set and Canopy masks.

The subject of this build will be HC-452 a Hurricane Mk.I N2394 flown by the Finnish Airforce as Black 2
Of 2/ Lentolaivue 26 based at Malmi airfield in March 1943 just after being Repaired and Repainted.

This particular Hurricane HC-452 has a long history, it was 1 of 12 purchased from Britain in February 1940 and was one of those confirmed to have a Metal Wing, HC-460 was another, known Fabric Wing versions were HC-451, 454, 455 & 456, the exact split between metal and Fabric is not confirmed with the other aircraft.
After a brief training period the Hurricanes were flown to Finland arriving in early March 1940, losing 2 on the transfer flight.
Aircraft Code first applied was HU452, then HC452 in smaller size, then increased in size to HC-452.

When the Continuation War began on 25th June 1941, HC452 had been assigned to Lentolaivue 30. In early July, 5 Aircraft including HC452 were transferred to Utti and incorporated into Lentolaivue 32.

HC452 was regularly flown by Vanrikki (Vanr. = Pilot Officer) Esko Ruotsila, he shot down an I-153 on 3rd and 15th July on patrols over the Karelian Ismuth followed by a shared victory on the 8th Jan.1942, an I-152,
for a total of 2.5 victories out of the 5.5 claimed by Hurricanes.
During this time the Hurricanes were grounded for long periods due to lack of spares.

HC-452 managed to be one of the few Hurricanes that continued to be in periodic service from 1941 to mid 1943, logging 208 Flight hours, the most of any Finnish Hurricane. It's final recorded flight was on the 26th July 1943 before being put in to storage, again through lack of spare parts.

HC-452 was delivered in Standard British Colours of the period, Dark Green and Dark Earth upper and Aluminium Dope lower Fuselage with wings in one half Black the other White.
Tactical markings were then added, Orange Yellow Bands to rear fuselage and outer Lower wing, while the Nose was a lighter Lemon Yellow in this instance as HC452.

HC-452 was one of the last Hurricanes to receive the Finnish WARPAINT Colours of Olive Green and Black Upper surface and Light Blue lower surfaces in a factory repair in February 1943.

Tactical markings applied were Black 2 in two slightly different styles, the first Black 2 (Square Base) with Pale Blue Border on RAF Camouflage, then Black 2 (Pointed Base) with White Border on Finnish Green/Black Camo., and finally the rudder was changed after being damaged, the replacement carried Black 5 with Pale Blue Border from HC-455 which still had RAF Colours.

Today, HC-452 is the only surviving Hurricane still in Original Finnish Colours as "Black 5" and currently on display at the Aviation Museum in Central Finland.

Reference Photo's come from the Excellent MMP Book Finnish Fighter Colours 1939 – 1945 Vol. 2
By Kari Stenman and Karolina Holda.
Both Vol. 1 and 2 are must have Books if you have any interest in Finnish Fighter Aircraft, you won't be disappointed.

All 3 variations are shown as mentioned above, starting with the build version Black 2 number 2 after repaint. followed by the before and after variations.

HC-452_Black 2_2b_4928.jpg
HC452_Black 2_aa_4933.jpg
HC-452_Black 5_aa_4935.jpg
finnish Fighter Colours Vol.2_2409.jpg

Good one Wayne.
Is this the most recent Airfix kit ?
if so, I think it only has the Rotol prop (I'd need to check my example), whereas your subject has the DH prop.
If you need one of the latter, I think I probably have a spare, from the earlier Airfix kit, which I'll be happy to send - though Heaven knows how long it might take to get there, in the present circumstances !!

True, but you've seen my fingers - I think spinability might be a bit limited !
And the UJ is now in 'Lockdown', as of tonight ..................

Bit late getting back here, to answer your question Terry I am doing the 'New' version Hurricane and the Props and spinner look to be the right ones when compared to the aircraft....what do you think?
Airfix Spinners_4946.jpg
Airfix_Hurricane Props_B_4943.jpg
Spinner & Props_4928.jpg

A bit more room in there then mine, I'm wanting to build one of these eventually so keeping an eye on how it goes together for you. Looks good so far :thumbright:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back