**** DONE: GB-46 1/72 Baynes Bat - WW2 Eastern Front/Twin Engine A/C, Transports and Gliders

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

PlasticHero

Senior Airman
Jul 31, 2019
Pennsylvania, USA
Username: PlasticHero
First Name: Alan
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1/72
Manufacturer: Jach Baynes Bat
Extras: None

Because the 2 kits have a lot of the same paint, I plan to build the Mossie and the Bat together.
parts.jpg

This is everything, there is no cockpit wall detail and it has a thick, small canopy. The history of it can be found here
Baynes Bat / Slingsby Sailplanes Baynes Bat
It says it was "all wood"; I think that implies a fabric skin as the whole thing weighed 963 lbs with pilot. The instructions have no callout for the interior, and I haven't found anything (but I'm sure someone will know) so my first guess is wood floor and insturment panel; linen sides, black stick and interior green seat.

I have not done any brass before, any recommended sites with good instruction, or what has worked for you.

Question about category: How is this determined? My skill, how much detail is added to existing kit, or complexity of the kit itself.

One more thing, I can't seem to control where the posts go, when I start one, they end up in the bottom of the thread, outside the blue line.

Last edited:
Nice choice.
The Category is determined by your perceived skill level.
The thread will appear here first, and a 'Mod' will then move it into the GB threads.
As for the use of the bras PE parts, if there is no folding involved, then it is fairly straightforward. Ensure that the pars are carefully removed from the fret, and any attachment burrs removed. To aid painting, it may help to lightly rub over the parts with some fine or medium grit wet n' dry, to give a 'key' for the paint - probably better to do this, with small parts, before removing from the fret.
The parts can be attached with CA adhesive and, with some parts, it may help to locate them first using PVA, and then add a spot of CA once set in the required position.
Hope this helps, but if you need more help, just ask in the build thread, and I'm sure we'll all jump in.

I have the 'office' done and ready to close; and I'm looking at how cramped it seems. Then I remembered that ages ago I had a RAF pilot figure so I dug him out. He is just a hair over 1 inch tall with boots and helmet, so is an accurate size. I'll cut some slack on the kit because of the thickness of the plastic but still, that was a tight fit for anyone flying this.
cockpit.jpg

I took a bit of sprue, heated it up and bent a 90 with pliers to give me a piece to support the floor and rear bulkhead. The dash is a little oversized.
Found some photos of the real thing. This looks like it doesn't have the structure behind the pilot, early version?
nevington-baynes-bat4_1.jpg
Baynes_Bat.jpg

1487165551_baynes-bat-2.jpg
v5zb2mwojsu21.jpg

I'm sure the cockpit is misrepresented. I can imagine that floor much further down and the pedals much further forward in which case that scale 6 foot figure would fit.

I get the half wingspan to be 2.75 to 2.8 inches; and the length to be 1.9 to 1.95 I setup and measured it 3 times. That gives a wingspan of 33 to 33'6 and a length of 11'5 to 11'8 feet. The website in the first post gives the dimensions as 33'4 by 11'4; so the outside is pretty close. I agree with Crimea_River Crimea_River that a lower, longer floor would allow him to fit; just.
batdim.jpg

Pilot: "Are you sure this kite will fly?"
Engineer: "Well the math added up and the wind tunnel model (holds up balsa wood version about 2 feet across) flew ok" 😁

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back