**** DONE: GB-48 1:48 TBM-3 Avenger - Carrier & Maritime Patrol A/C of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hope you get better ! take care

Thanks guys. A few small parts and I can start spraying. I decided to put the landing gear on as it'll all be white. I thought the three part affair might be finicky and flimsy but once the glue had set it was pretty solid. The torque links are solid but a quick search shows that these have holes top and bottom so they were drilled out

I'll add some brake lines after the paint

Apologies for the delay. As you know for some reason I lock up when it comes time to spray so I finally started to paint the underside white.....its white. This is mostly for Andy. For the white I used Vallejo Surface Primer. Its a water-based acrylic-polyurethane coating. I used a .4 needle in my H&S airbrush and sprayed at about 15psi. I had to take the cap off as it was spitting but after it was removed I had no problems. What I do is spray for about 3-5 seconds, stop, blow a blast of air through the brush and continue spraying. Vallejo recommends building up in thin coats so being a large model and doing my stop and go, took about an hour. On to cleaning. I purchased some Vantage Model Solutions (VMS) Airbrush Cleaners Pro for cleaning up after using Vallejo

I transferred some into another bottle and added distilled water in a 1:4 ratio following instructions on the back.

As mentioned above, I started cleaning about an hour after starting. I noticed that the top half of the paint cup had dried and my usual method of cleaning it using a large soft brush had no effect so I resorted to Q-tips dipped in the solution and the paint started coming off, in a layer. I guess this is part of the "polyurethane" part of the equation. No problem removing all the paint from the cup. I added water to the cup and used a brush to make sure and bits of dried paint were suspended in the brush itself floated a bit and then poured that out as well. I then added a bit of the solution to the cup and then blew it through the brush. I stripped the brush and proceeded to clean using Q-tips and dental brushes dipped in the solution. I looked at the cap I had removed at the beginning of the session and it had primer dried to it and all it took was a bit of Q-tip and dental brush cleaning and looked good as new. It looks like H&S make a crown cap so I might get one for each needle size as I didn't feel comfortable waving the airbrush around with an exposed needle tip

There you have it Andy; I can highly recommend this solution for cleaning Vallejo from the airbrush. Its supposed to be good for all acrylic paint as well. I'll let the model dry for my usual 24 hours and then paint the top camo on

Users who are viewing this thread