**** DONE: GB-48 1:48 TBM-3 Avenger - Carrier & Maritime Patrol A/C of WWII (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Geo. I don't use Vallejo paints anyway and have no reason to switch from my Tamiyas which I've used for years. The Tamiyas thin nicely with cheap IPA and clean up with it as well. My typical clean after each session is as follows:

1. Dump excess paint.
2. Fill cup with IPA and clean walls and inlet with a paint brush. Dump dirty IPA and repeat.
3. Fill cup with IPA and run through AB at 40psi until empty. Repeat.
4. Occasionally strip AB and clean metal parts thoroughly with lacquer thinner avoiding contact with the plastic seal on the nozzle. Clean that with IPA.

In PG now for my first treatment, heading to the reactor in an hour. Here until Friday and then home. I managed to get the top camouflage done but had a slight self-inflicted problem. Some how I got the needle/tip combination wrong on the AB and couldn't spray a fine line and it wasn't until I was done that I realized the problem. I've made up some paper masks and will correct when I get home

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Shot the redo grey yesterday. The photo of the aircraft shows that the colour is faded so I lightened it up with some white. The paper masks I made to correct the bad feathering on my first attempt worked great and produced a much tighter featherig. Though I masked the bejaysus out of the rest of the model, over spray had its way. Now I was stressing how to match a custom colour so I closed my eyes, mixed the paint using syringe and reshot. Surprised I was, can't tell the difference. Of course I missed a few spots on the wing roots and will be corrected.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

Still not sure what the light grey patch is all about on the left wing, it doesn't follow any panel lines but will be added.

1612129965487.png

The one wheel thang is simple; I was test driving them and the right one refused to come off. About to work on the bay doors. Done for another week, heading to PG to get Chernobyled, week two of four. Snowstorm at the moment so debating whether to go later or in the A.M.

Decals are on the left side, all five of them. The Mr. Mark Set reacted a bit with the wing decal causing a bit of discolouration. It was the only area affected out of five. It is hard to see. The fuselage decal was an issue. Its off the same sheet as the wing decal but refused to settle. I used two applications of Mr. Mark Sol and two of Polly Scale Sol. Then I brought out the big gun, Walthers Solvaset. I've never used this before so I put a bit on, waited a bit, blotted it dry and went away for 30 minutes. I went down and nothing had happened so I brushed on quite a bit more, let it set longer and then blotted it off. Again waited for half an hour, went down and nada. Right.....I loaded up the brush and slathered on the Solvaset and left. Half an hour later, the mutant Academy decal was still standing proud. One more shot before I ripped it off and laid down an after market star and bar; I loaded up a paper towel with a hot as I could stand and pressed it onto the decal and then slowly applied the scalding pressure......success!!!. The numbers were a combination of Hobbycraft and another Academy sheet and went down without a struggle. The other side should be smoother as there isn't a scoop where the right fuselage decal sits. Film at 11

Its 11 some where. All decals now on including the forgotten wing walks. By-passing the middlemen, I placed the fuselage decal in the proper spot and hit it with the scalding paper towel and it settled down right smartly, all the rivets showing. I'll let these dry and then clear coat in preparation for a panel wash. I wanted to use the darker grey on the grey camo but a test run showed that it is too light so I'll probably make one up myself and use the light grey wash on the white

IMG_0002.JPG

The bomb bay doors are just test fit and they go in quite snuggly. I still have to add the lower doors to the retraction systems

Users who are viewing this thread

Back