**** DONE: GB-49 1/48 B.P Defiant NF 1 - WW2 Night Fighter

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good stuff.
Making the missing part wouldn't be too difficult - stretched sprue and a piece of plastic card. Plastic strip, card or sprue cold form the mounting points on the rear.
That said, which seat is more accurate for your taste ?
The resin seat, though nice, and with the bonus of the seat harness, lacks the control column bracket, but the kit seat looks rather too "angular", even with the subtle curve to the top, compared to photos and drawings of the real seat.
I think I'd make the relatively small effort to add the needed bits to the resin seat - but check that it will fit first !

I will deffinately be watching your progress. I have the 'sister' to the NF, the Airfix BD Mk.1. Fubar-57 has built this Airfix model a well and has some good insights in GB 37 (not sure of the kit vintage?). I'll be looking for any 'gotchas' that your find.

Thank you for all your comments and interest, it is very much appreciated:salute:

Terry thanks for your observations and comments regarding the seats. After a scan of the net i see what you mean about the resin piece looking more the right shape. i also fashioned a part from sprue to support the control column as you suggested, and although its not as good as the kit part i think it does the job. i had doubts that the real aircraft had the column mounted on the seat but its true enough!

I have now installed the resin part without too much drama to the framework as supplied by Airfix, and i think it looks ok. i have still tp paint it but hopefully my photos will let you see what i have ended up with. I have also assembled the wings, which have separate control surfaces to add.

All in all its going well. More progress soon, work allowing. I am enjoying this one so far.

Cheers, and thanks for looking, Greg

IMG_3819.JPG
IMG_3820.JPG
IMG_3821.JPG
IMG_3822.JPG
IMG_3823.JPG

So i have progressed to a defiant shape with very little effort. As George pointed out the fit tolerances on these newish Airfix kits are tight, and i was careful to align all the assemblies before putting them together.

I have to say its almost a Tamiya type build insofar as the fit of parts is very good. Paint next methinks!

Thanks for looking, cheers Greg

IMG_3824.JPG
IMG_3825.JPG
IMG_3826.JPG
IMG_3827.JPG
IMG_3828.JPG
IMG_3829.JPG
IMG_3830.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back