**** DONE: GB-50 1:48 Republic P-47D-2-RA Thunderbolt - Zombie Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mainly28s

Senior Airman
Jun 19, 2015
South-East UK
mainly28s.com
User Name: Mainly28s
Name: Olaf
Category: Novice or beginner (I cite my reduced motor function from a stroke- I may upgrade to intermediate at some point: whatever the esteemed members of the judging panel thing is appropriate, based on what and how I show it here.)
Kit: P-47 (Sorry, I lost the box and instructions when I moved)
Scale: 1/48
Accessories: Only the decals.

This one's been sitting on my shelf of doom since before we moved to this house. It has been completely built, but not painted. As you can tell from the fingerprint on the wing, I've not actually looked at it in a while.

I will be entering this as a machine in German colours, but still showing the original nose-art and individual call-sign letters, as it may have appeared just after being used in a propaganda film, before being reassigned to Beutezirkus Rosarius.
My interest in this machine is that Hans-Werner Lerche, a test pilot at Rechlin, supposedly flew it.

Attachments

• PXL_20210617_143449965.jpg
    PXL_20210617_143449965.jpg
    939.8 KB · Views: 60
Hans-Werner Lerche flew T9+FK. YF U was the original Usaaf code.

from

1624134405839.png

1624134341669.png

From Lerche book

1624134492100.png

Last edited:
Yes but Lersche flew the plane when coded T9+FK see book cover.
While I agree that he may have flown it as T9+FK, I will respectfully disagree that this is the only codes on it when he flew the plane. Bear in mind, the photo on the cover was chosen a long time ago, before a lot of in-depth research was conducted. I suspect that the publisher grabbed any photo of a Thunderbolt in German markings for use. I've seen too may books where the cover is representative, not factual.
Lerche also tells how he flew the plane from Caen to Rechlin, which confirms that it was Roach's "Beetle", so I think I can justify the YF-U code. As it was a fairly quick transfer out of the combat area, it would not have had a full re-paint yet.

While I agree that he may have flown it as T9+FK, I will respectfully disagree that this is the only codes on it when he flew the plane. Bear in mind, the photo on the cover was chosen a long time ago, before a lot of in-depth research was conducted. I suspect that the publisher grabbed any photo of a Thunderbolt in German markings for use. I've seen too may books where the cover is representative, not factual.
Lerche also tells how he flew the plane from Caen to Rechlin, which confirms that it was Roach's "Beetle", so I think I can justify the YF-U code. As it was a fairly quick transfer out of the combat area, it would not have had a full re-paint yet.
Never said it had not another code. Specially because the p-47 was for some time a JG hack. Lersche flew from Caen – Carpiquet to Pontoise – Cormeilles 10-11-43 afternoon but in his book he does not mention the airplane code. So we need to view his log book to know what code it had.
But i believe when becoming part of Rosarius it was directly recoded to the normally used coding. So based at Rechling and in inventory with Zirkus Rosarius it would have worn T9

Have fun building!

Pic T9+FK former eBay

1624269347318.png

A bit of progress, but without a picture- I've started with undercoat and the yellow bits. I think I'm at layer four of yellow, and still see streaks. The disadvantages of brush-painting!

I reckon I'll have another two layers on by Sunday, at which point I hope to add a picture.

So a little progress. Slow is fine with me.
I've got most of my yellow looking acceptable (to me)- I think the weathering may have to cover some sins. I've also done the first coat of neutral grey undersurface.
Tomorrow I'll be doing the undercoat of the uppers, and another layer of grey.
PXL_20210707_182231494.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back