**** DONE: GB-52 1:72 Savoia-Marchetti SM79 - Heavy Hitters IV

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

One of my favourite aeroplanes. It looks great, Ralph. I wouldn't worry too much about the paint, even on a real example the results are not uniform.

51733023207_3337e9636f_b.jpg
DSC_1674

This is the one on display at Lake Bracchiano in Italy.

49308457652_65fb8922d3_b.jpg
SM.79 front

That's looking good Ralph.
One small observation though - the trailing edge of the port wing could use a little trimming to remove flash / oversized moulding, as shown by the white arrows in the pic below (excuse the rough drawing - I haven't yet re-loaded my Photopaint programme ).

Wing arrows.jpg

That's looking good Ralph.
One small observation though - the trailing edge of the port wing could use a little trimming to remove flash / oversized moulding, as shown by the white arrows in the pic below (excuse the rough drawing - I haven't yet re-loaded my Photopaint programme ).

View attachment 650880

Ahhh! What you are seeing is the masking tape overlap, protecting the bottom paint already applied. The tape 'overhang' allows the wing edge to be painted the upper color while protecting the lower colors (colours). I assume, normal practice?

Ah, thanks Ralph, now I understand, and yes, normal practice, or, in military terms, SOP.
Looks like it's going to turn out vey nice indeed.

I sure hope so. My first foray into a 'complex (or kind of) camo scheme. Wife has me doing my annual Christmas baking this week (I really have a fantastic ginger snap and Pfefferkuchen recipe) so I will be redirected for a couple of days from making any progress.

I'm kind of wondering if the pilot wore a bag over his head when getting on board? So no one would recognize him! This, while an interesting design as an aircraft, sure was introduced into the 'ugly' class when whoever decided to do this camo scheme created Black 14! Actually I like the uniqueness of the markings; just have to wonder??? Maybe with the wheels, props and markings; AND a semi-gloss coat??

Clown car comes to mind....

PORT PAINT JOB.jpg

I'm kind of wondering if the pilot wore a bag over his head when getting on board? So no one would recognize him! This, while an interesting design as an aircraft, sure was introduced into the 'ugly' class when whoever decided to do this camo scheme created Black 14! Actually I like the uniqueness of the markings; just have to wonder??? Maybe with the wheels, props and markings; AND a semi-gloss coat??

Clown car comes to mind....

View attachment 651359
Yes. This aircraft is a good match for the Aussie urban dictionary meaning for cute - ugly but interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back