**** DONE: GB-54 1:48 Nakajima Ki.84 Hayate - Pacific Theatre

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
Username: fubar57
First name: George
Category: Advanced
Manufacturer: Tamiya
Model: Nakajima Ki.84 Hayate (Gale) Kit # MA113
Scale: 1:48
Add-on: Seat harnesses

My entry of the Ki.84, Allied code name, "Frank". The aircraft served with the 58th Shimbu-Tai, Kyushu, Japan, May 1945

Screenshot 2022-05-01 100843.jpg

Looks like it's that brownish colour that no one can decide on though Tamiya says green. I'm going with Tamiya Khaki Drab. Interior was one of four colours; at this stage of the war, I'm going with a silver stage. Nick Millman also said the seat was red oxide in colour, something other builders miss

Actually the Khaki paint is of the green-brownish tinge. So the colour seems to fit the "4" while the "7" looks darker. This may indicate the more greenish and darker paint.

BTW .. please note that the "4" seems to be without the black anti-glare strip in front of the windshield

So, no lighting bolts (J2M3)? Or will that be a follow on? Was looking forward to the 'competition'!
Not at the moment Ralph. Still looking for that illusive one Raiden photo with the yellow or white trim. Just looking at the clearer photo Wojtek posted. No antenna and the mess of antennae wire that goes with it. Interior almost done and ready to be bolted up. This kit is from 1973 so a lot is lacking. Found some spiffy P.E. Japanese harnesses. From what I've seen, lap harness only on the Frank. Photos shortly

Thank you. Stuff to show. Innards painted up, just need to add joy stick and lap belts. Odd colour for the seat but I saw a photo of one and Nick Millman mentioned it as well, ".....with traces of green underneath the Oxide Red...."

850.jpg

IMG_1909.JPG

The I.P. is nothing more than a crappy decal that is stuck to flat pieces at the front of the cockpit. Tamiya provides two small lines at the top and bottom of the I.P.. With a new sharp blade and ruler, you slice the decal in two and then insert each half into its respective fuselage. It was still a pain in the keester

IMG_1911.JPG

A test fit of wings and fuselage shows that this is going to go fast. Hoping to have it all buttoned up by the end of the day

Users who are viewing this thread

Back