**** DONE: GB-55 1/48 Bf 109E-7 - MTO III

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks all. 👍

Got some paint on....

IMG_20220826_120157.jpg

Some touch up required and another coat of yellow on the nose. Just the dreaded mottle to add 😬

Thanks for looking, cheers Greg 🍺

Speaking of mottle......

IMG_20220827_095315.jpg

IMG_20220827_095325.jpg

IMG_20220827_095342.jpg

As a brush painter mottle is always a challenge. The last photo is a close up, and not that flattering. However I am relatively happy with it for now. Next I'll gloss coat the whole thing in preparation for the decals. After that I will attempt a bit of weathering and a wash to try and blend it all together.

Thanks again for all your comments.

Cheers Greg 👍

Good result.
Before I got a decent, fine-line airbrush, I used to do mottles by using a cotton bud, dipped in paint and then wiped off, similar to dry brushing. The tip of the bud was then rotated in contact with the surface to be mottled, the amount of pressure used varying the "depth", and the area of rotation varying the size of the mottle.
This worked well in both 1/48th and 1/72nd scales, and the pics below show the Hasegawa 1/48th scale Bf-109E, built 30 years ago, and brush painted with the mottle done as described.
Gallery models 100.jpg
Gallery models 105.jpg
Gallery models 106.jpg

Good result.
Before I got a decent, fine-line airbrush, I used to do mottles by using a cotton bud, dipped in paint and then wiped off, similar to dry brushing. The tip of the bud was then rotated in contact with the surface to be mottled, the amount of pressure used varying the "depth", and the area of rotation varying the size of the mottle.
This worked well in both 1/48th and 1/72nd scales, and the pics below show the Hasegawa 1/48th scale Bf-109E, built 30 years ago, and brush painted with the mottle done as described.
View attachment 684125View attachment 684126View attachment 684127
Cheers Terry,

Your 109 looks great, a more subtle effect than I got with your cotton bud method. I will give that a go next time.

All the best, Greg 👍

You're welcome Greg.
BTW, the paints were enamels, but the method should work equally well with acrylics, if slightly thinned. Practice on a suitable, painted surface or "hack" model first, to get a feel for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back