**** DONE: GB-55 1/72 P-51D Mustang - MTO III

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have the insides mostly done. I broke the stick so that is a bit of sprue. I added a seat harness but only had room for the shoulder straps. I added an oil cooler in front of the radiator; just Int Green with a black rectangle. The drop tanks (which I don't plan to use) and flaps are the Vallejo Black and Satin Aluminum while the wheels and around the radiator is Tamiya silver, which is lighter.

build1.jpg

build2.jpg
build3.jpg

build4.jpg
build5.jpg

I just want to say that posting my build progress on this site has made my model building more fun and engaging than ever. I get to show off my progress, get answers quickly and help with others' projects.

This is as of last weekend. Hard to see but the wings and fuselage are painted silver and aluminum. I used the pattern I found elsewhere in this forum.
build6.jpg

paintedwings.jpg

The metal is Vallejo gloss black primer and then semi-matt aluminum while the "painted silver" is Tamiya silver. I like the Vallejo bottle but wow was it expensive. There is a distinct difference in appearance. I glued the bomb racks on the wings before I found this and couldn't mask it so.....

Got all the basic color on BUT.... the Tamiya tape pulled a large section of natural metal off. There are a few small other chips I have to touch up but this is the worst part. It's masked off on panel lines and I'll try to blend in a new layer of black and aluminum. Wish me luck. The red on the rudder did turn out a slightly different shade as I hoped to represent the paint over fabric. The nose flash is a decal, but I used it as a guide to mask that since the color and texture wouldn't match the painted tail and wing tips.
build7.jpg

I was going to paint the yellow wing stripes but given the tendency to peel, I'm going to use the decals provided. This will be heavily weathered to try to cover up all my paint sins.
Yes, Jock Tamson Jock Tamson I usually do that too, but masking the tail looked really difficult so I'm trying this way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back