**** DONE: GB-55 1/72 P-51D Mustang - MTO III

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

PlasticHero

Senior Airman
Jul 31, 2019
Pennsylvania, USA
Username: PlasticHero
First Name: Alan
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1/72
Model: Mustang P-51D
Manufacturer: Airfix A01004
Extras: Squadron Wheels TDP72209

This is the new Hornby mold and for the price, this kit is nearly as good as the Tamiya. The kit decals are for the Tuskegee 100 FS 332 FG flown by Spurgeon Ellington. I'm having to start slowly because of my shoulder but feeling highly motivated.
sprue1.jpg
'tusk.jpg

Last edited:
In spite of my shoulder, I have started and by that I mean there's a lot of sitting on the couch with my laptop looking at Mustang photos. Making notes about colors and I learned 2 things this week. One is that they had plywood floors and the other is the canopy has a support across its width.
cockpit1.jpg
sprue2.jpg

I went with worn black, probably a non-slip surface for the floor. I found color pictures of museum Mustangs and they look green and black. Any thoughts? My instinct says black to reduce glare but the interior green is hardly shiny either.
canopy support5.jpg
canopy support6.jpg

I did not have a clear idea of the radiator assembly until I started looking at the kit parts and trying to figure out the colors. I have two versions of the intake side; IG or metal. I'm going with green like the upper photo.
rad duct2.jpg

On the exit side, I'm sure the top and sides are metal. If I can mask it well, I might try IG close to the radiator and part of the lower flap; not sure yet. There are also two small struts to add and something to represent the oil cooler.
cross section.jpg

Mustang_VH-JUC_20_med.jpg

What is the bulge in the upper left corner? I haven't seen that before. Here is a VERY lengthy document from a flight sim that reads like the pilot's manual.

Actually the last shot above is of the post-war CAC CA-18 RAAF Mustang Mk 21 A68-105 delivered to the RAAF in November 1947. The bulge seems to be a cover of an antenna for a post-war device. It was added in late 90' when she was restored to airworthy. Earlier pictures of her don't show the box there. IMHO there wasn't a such cover mounted at any of the WW2 P-51Ds.

Mustang_A68_105_1965_.jpg

Mustang_A68_105_1977_.jpg

Mustang_A68_105_1988_.jpg

Mustang_A68_105_2012_.jpg

Mustang_A68_105_2010_.jpg

the pic source: the net.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back