**** DONE: GB-56 1:48 P-47D Bubbletop – Thunderbolts and Lightnings (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for popping in guys, it's always nice to hear from you. Not much happened really, just placed the red bands on the tail area and sprayed the cowling red. The initial red I used was not to my liking so I have re done it and this is Ferrari Red (Humbrol 220) and it took forever to dry even in our 30C + heat.

20230118 1.JPG

20230118 2.JPG

The canopy is also red on this bird.
20230118 3.JPG

Getting this mirror to sit and stay was a bitch. I used PVA and waited a while for it to go tacky, I took my eye off the ball and it set in about half the time (30C + again) so on the second attempt I did keep my eye on it and then spent precious minutes trying to get the mirror in the right position in my tweezers so as I could mount it. Lots of funny words were bouncing around my work room. Anyway, job done now and I just have to put it somewhere out of harms way until I need it.
20230118 4.JPG

:D

Nice work Vic. I had a similar problem with the scratch-built "wedge" mirror on my razorback - it just didn't want to sit straight.
One small observation - it looks like there is some paint scuffing on the flaps. These were definitely a "No Step" area for their entire span, so doubtful there would be paint wear.

Thanks George and Terry.

Looks like I'll have to rethink my strategy Terry, I did notice a "No Step" instruction for the inboard end of the flap but it didn't twig it was the whole flap. :D

Started decals today and had a bit of a rough time. The Eagle decals are somewhat fragile and as a consequence I've mucked a couple up, having done so I decided to quit for the day and have another go tomorrow. In the meantime I've sourced a replacement set but there half a world away so will take time to get here, c'est la vie. Anyway, hope to have something to show tomorrow. :D

Thanks Terry.

So, with the start of a new dawn I dived into decal application with renewed hope, and it worked. Applying the 'G9' decal was initially a bit dramatic as it separated from the decal sheet while in the water where it started to curl up. However I managed to get it out on its paper, sort it and then position it.
20230122 1.JPG

The Wolfe however was a cantankerous piece of work that was not willing to settle down or follow the contours of the model. It also decided to split in a couple of places despite my having brushed a good coat of liquid decal film a couple of days back. Anyway, as you can see, I made it and having looked at this pic, also sorted the bubble just behind the mouth and tucked in that little bit of surplus decal over the veins. The bump on the 'W' is not a bubble but part of the aircraft, I'm not sure but feel it may be the connection to perform a manual engine crank.
20230122 2.JPG

Decalling will continue tomorrow on the underside then I'll look at ware and tear before doing the final fitments.
20230122 3.JPG

Thanks for showing an interest gents, its quite moral boosting. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back