**** DONE: GB-56 1/48 P-47D - Thunderbolts and Lightnings (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks, Wayne, Hugh and Geo.

I'm afraid I haven't done anymore yet, as my hands are just too stiff and painful for delicate work, but with luck, I'll get back to it very soon.
However, the landing gear and inner doors are now set, and the model is standing on its own legs for the first time, although the door jacks have yet to be fitted, and the wheels aligned. The main doors seem a bit short at the top ends, where the small "flap" door is located, leaving a small gap between the door and the wing surface, so I'll attempt to rectify this by adding some thin plastic card.
A little "wear and tear" has been applied to the wing roots, representing scratches and scuffs on the metal, and the upper and tail position lights have been glazed with blobs of PVA.
Pics below show how things are to date, and I hope to be back soon with the final up-date for this build.

P-47 build 2 226.JPG
P-47 build 2 220.JPG

Reading on your pains and difficulties and then seeing the amazing exacting details that you are producing...well I'm more than impressed by your skills and dedication to this hobby. Hopfully you will get treatments that will alleviate the majority of the pain. Yes, I've a few 'issues' myself and thank goodness there is this 'hobby' to keep one's mind off them.

Thanks all, and thanks, Ralph, for the good wishes. I can just about cope with the pain and discomfort of this stupid disease, but the frustration of not being able to get things done is hard to live with some times. Thankfully, this hobby goes a long way in helping to distract from the problems.

There are only a few small things to do to complete the model, but I'm still rather too stiff to attempt these jobs yet, and, making things worse, my central heating has gone off, just as a further cold spell hits the UK !
The heating is controlled by a remote, digital controller, which needs a Phd in physics and electronics to programme, and relies on batteries.
The batteries have died, so the whole thing has shut down, and there's no manual over-ride !
Of course, being Sunday, the shops in town closed at 16.00 hrs, and although my local "mini market" is still open, they don't have any of the required batteries !
Think I'll go into hibernation - see you all in spring !

Thanks Wayne.

I've finally got it finished, with the door jacks in place, and the I.F.F. dipole beneath the port wing, the post fore sight fitted on the nose, both made from stretched sprue, and the pitot tube fitted and painted, the latter from the kit part after all, as I couldn't adapt this to the alloy tube as I'd hoped.
The home-made prop has also been cemented in place. The prop seems to be "sagging" slightly, due to some play in the prop shaft. so I'll need to correct this before taking the "finished" shots. There's also a small area needing re-touching where the matt coat has worn, on the nose, near the windscreen, and again, this will be done before taking the photos.
I'll try to clear some space to set up the lighting, and get the photos done, in the next day or two.

Thanks again to all for the encouragement and kind remarks during the course of this build.

P-47 build 2 230.JPG
P-47 build 2 232.JPG
P-47 build 2 237.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back