**** DONE: GB-56 1/72 XP-47J - Thunderbolts and Lightnings (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That would have worked Andy, but what I used was a piece of scrap from the material I used to make the firewall corigation on my Thunderbolt cockpit project. It's corrugated clear sheet intended for greenhouses. I was in the basement the other gay and saw a piece, picked it up and bent it sharp and was amazed that it held its shape and didn't turn milky at the bend so decided to give it a shot.
The picture below was taken after I mounted it on the firewall and painted it.

20211005_164327.jpg

The shape of the propeller blades on the 'J' were different than any of the others fitted on Thunderbolts. They were more slender at the base. I could spend time reshaping the Hamilton Standard prop from the kit but I will be needing that along with one stolen fron another Academy Razorback kit I have to source the blades for the conter-rotating prop on the XP-72.
I looked at resin props available and the closest match I could find for legnth and shape was a Quickboost resin prop set for a B-25. The legnth is close enough measured from a 1/72nd B-25 I have and the slenderness at the base looks right on. The outer half of the blades may be a touch thin but I can live with that.
I have them on order and will hopefully arrive in time.

republic-xp-47j-front.jpg
republic-xp-47j-front-left.jpg
s-l300.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back