**** DONE: GB-57 1/72 Gloster Gladiator - WW2 Foreign Service (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Got the wing on, added the alighting gear, and the exhaust pipes. While it was lying on it's back, decided to put the underside decals on. These decals are very old, thick, and yellow. On top of that, there was a layer of grime on the topsides of the decals which loosened when I applied them, but really took a bit of scrubbing with a soft brush dipped in warm water to get rid of.
20230312_165440.jpg

Turns out, while my back was turned, gremlins snuck in and popped the portside struts on the fuselage out of the holes in the upper wing. Grrrr! :mad:
Yeah, I get it. When you have 8 points of support there are bound to be a couple that are stubborn. If you have some CA glue, push the struts back to where they are supposed to be and dab a little on the connection with a chiseled toothpick.

Yeah, I get it. When you have 8 points of support there are bound to be a couple that are stubborn. If you have some CA glue, push the struts back to where they are supposed to be and dab a little on the connection with a chiseled toothpick.
That's my plan. Might do a little strong arming with a needle nosed pliers to teach them the error of their ways. I suspected that could be a problem from the beginning, but thought using CA would fix it. Unfortunately, CA only sticks instantly when you don't want it to.

These decals are definitely past their "use by" date. The large roundels reacted badly to the Solvaset. Lots of wrinkling. One tried to curl up, but another bath of Solvaset got it to lay flat. I figured out that the gelatin medium on the paper was what was causing the yellowing and griminess. Anyway, decals are on. God knows what they will look like tomorrow.
20230314_202822.jpg

I use Microsol on those persistently troublesome decal, sometimes it takes a lot of gentle brushing to get the to conform and in doing so they do have a tendency to wrinkle, but have patience as the wrinkles will smooth out overnight as the decal dries out and seals itself to the aircraft form. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back