**** DONE: GB-58 1/48 Heinkel He219 A-7 - Night Fighters all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Always the PITA, but I just got to ask. I was trying to find a reference for the proper seat belt anchor locations. Found many model builds but no actual He219 photos. My question now is, does anyone (kit mfg's included) know, or is the location just left up to the builders discretion? To add to the confusion mix, some builds have the radar operators seat with lap only belts, some have the added shoulder belts. To wit:

SB opt 6.jpg
SB opt 5.jpg
SB opt 4.jpg
SB opt 3.jpg
SB opt 2.jpg
SB opt 1.jpg

Anyone want to weigh in on this? Obviously these will be somewhat tucked away, but with the canopy open they will be more visible than many that I have built. Won't loose any sleep over this, just puzzled as why the variations?

... why the variations?

Because nobody knows how it was done actually. Most of the ways of attaching of the seat belts is based on the other late-war German projects.

Here you may find the pic of the seats and belts. It can be noticed that the shoulder belts were attached at the chair back plate for both seats.

Additionally here is a shot showing the starboard of the rear station with the belts going behind the seat back seen partially.

rer.jpg

the source: the net

Because nobody knows how it was done actually. Most of the ways of attaching of the seat belts is based on other late-war German projects.

Here you may find the pic of the seats and belts. It can be noticed that the shoulder belts were attached at the chair back for both seats.

Additionally here is a shot showing the starboard of the rear station with the belts going behind the seat back seen partially.

View attachment 727443
the source: the net
Many thanks. Intuitively, that's what I would have expected, behind the seat back. Will look cleaner. no messy anchor attach brackets to create! Just need to try and make a notch to pass them through, or not!

Trash to treasure. I looked through my kit extra parts stash and found some, I think, good candidates for making the seat belt hardware? The small aircraft is one of many that populate the deck of an air craft carrier I build years ago. The wings are tiny and thin and may be the perfect candidates to cannibalize. Although the fins of the never used bombs are promising material as well. The PE panels looks promising too? Lots to play with. Cant find a suitable switch pattern (radiator) for the rear cockpit starboard wall though.

Trash.jpg

Always the PITA, but I just got to ask. I was trying to find a reference for the proper seat belt anchor locations. Found many model builds but no actual He219 photos. My question now is, does anyone (kit mfg's included) know, or is the location just left up to the builders discretion? To add to the confusion mix, some builds have the radar operators seat with lap only belts, some have the added shoulder belts. To wit:

View attachment 727428View attachment 727429View attachment 727430View attachment 727431View attachment 727432View attachment 727433

Anyone want to weigh in on this? Obviously these will be somewhat tucked away, but with the canopy open they will be more visible than many that I have built. Won't loose any sleep over this, just puzzled as why the variations?
That is amazingly nice work. Beautiful detail.

First pass, probably final. Not sure I have enough bandages and beer to make these 'detail' parts any smaller. Looked so easy when I see others work. Not so much in my case. Anyway, critique away. The belts are adhered with clear canopy adhesive so are easily removed. Colors look acceptable though?

Wow do they look 'clutsy' when zoomed on. But for a distance display shelf display...MEH?

Seat Belts P.jpg
Seat Belts SB.jpg

The left pic posted by Andy shows the connection sockets without the radar displayers attached. The left one should be the FuG 212 Lichtenstein C-1 display unit while the right one was for the FuG 220 Lichtenstein SN-2 radar.

with the sockets seen ...
uhu radar_a.jpg

the display units with the anti-glare tubes ...
uhu radar_b.jpg

the FuG 212 displayer without the tube
gug220.jpg

the FuG 220 one ... also without the tube.
uhu radar_c.jpg

the pic surce: the net.

The left pic posted by Andy shows the connection sockets without the radar displayers attached. The left one should be the FuG 212 Lichtenstein C-1 display unit while the right one was for the FuG 220 Lichtenstein SN-2 radar.

with the sockets seen ...
View attachment 727990

the display units with the anti-glare tubes ...
View attachment 727992

the FuG 212 displayer without the tube
View attachment 727994

the FuG 220 one ... also without the tube.
View attachment 727993
the pic surce: the net.
Ahhh! Kind of makes sense now. It is a 'portal' or 'socket' to plug in the second radar unit display, Fug 212, if outfitted. Should I then assume that my unit would not have the rear antenna, as shown in instructions? Great info. Always the expert resource for detail trivia. Thanks...

No on A7, yes on A1?

tail antenna.JPG

Last edited:
Ralph,

I have edited my post and the quotation in your post because of a couple of typos I made due to the late time here.
But you are right. The FuG 212 was used with the early FuG 220 SN-2 airborn radar with pre-production and very early He 219s. When the FuG 220 SN-2c variant appeared, the FuG 212 C-1/C-2 unit was given up. When the FuG 220 SN-2d version was introduced a few late He 219s got the FuG 220 SN-2d additional tail warning unit at the tail. Because your model doesn't have the FuG 212 unit attached in the cockpit ( just the FuG 220 only ) it means that the antannae system for the FuG 212 wasn't installed at the nose. Actually I would suggest following a pic of the particular Uhu to check what antennas should be attached.

And yes on the A1 part. It was the radio set antenna. Regarding the A7 see my note above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back