**** DONE: GB-58 1/72 Mitsubishi Ki 46 III "Dinah" - Night Fighters all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

thanks fellas

I repainted the white, I redid the edges a bit and now I'm waiting for it to dry to take pictures.

repainted the hinomarus of the wings

32.jpg
33.jpg
34.jpg
35.jpg

As you have seen I had to re mask the transparent ones, this material is very sensitive and it sticks to my nitrile gloves

In a WWII Japanese aviation group on facebook (face book) some colleagues have mentioned to me that the color would be called akatsuchi-iro, I had never heard of this color before....
Sergio, I was reading about the colours you've chosen again and again through the whole thread. I probably missed the above post, but ...sorry to say that...it's kind of confusing. o_O
Almost 11 years ago you posted the IJAA bomber colours here. The brown colour is there and the translation of the Japanese text is approx. what you wrote in your post #20. But the akatsuchi-iro (iro=colour) is IMHO a bit too far. No wonder you haven't heard it before. Akatsuchi is a manga-hero from the Naruto-universe.
ed3d--naruto-shippuden-personajes-saturday-morning.jpg

There is a colour, actually group of colours in the IJN (this is the Naval Aviation of Japan) standards called Tsuchi Iro 土色 = soil colour(s).
I-%E5%9C%9F%E8%89%B2.jpg

Aka iro
is red so the combination of the two aka+tsuchi might be red-brown?
There is a very similar word akatsuki-iro (dawn colour), but I can't imagine what is the colour of the dawn:rolleyes:.
Or maybe I'm completely ..."out of order"?:banghead:
Cheers!

Last edited:
Sergio, I was reading about the colours you've chosen again and again through the whole thread. I probably missed the above post, but ...sorry to say that...it's kind of confusing. o_O
Almost 11 years ago you posted the IJAA bomber colours here. The brown colour is there and the translation of the Japanese text is approx. what you wrote in your post #20. But the akatsuchi-iro (iro=colour) is IMHO a bit too far. No wonder you haven't heard it before. Akatsuchi is a manga-hero from the Naruto-universe.
View attachment 725168
He has nothing to do with the IJAA but has a brown suit. Maybe this was the only reason for the group on Facebook to call it so. I don't follow the Book of faces and have no account there so I can't double check it.
There is a very similar word akatsuki-iro (dawn colour), but I can't imagine what is the colour of the dawn:rolleyes:.
Or maybe I'm completely ..."out of order"?:banghead:
Cheers!
Then I'll look for the link to the Japanese page where it appears that the n12 of the ijaaf color list is called that, I will also put the chipsets in the book of ijaaf color regulations where the n12 with that name also appears. Now, since I just got off work at night shift (now it's 7:16 in the morning) I'm going to sleep because at 13 I have to pick up the kids from school...Frienldy cheers!!!

Then I'll look for the link to the Japanese page where it appears that the n12 of the ijaaf color list is called that, I will also put the chipsets in the book of ijaaf color regulations where the n12 with that name also appears. Now, since I just got off work at night shift (now it's 7:16 in the morning) I'm going to sleep because at 13 I have to pick up the kids from school...Frienldy cheers!!!
Will be nice to see the source, thanks!
I'm also searching for those "mysterious" Japanese colours. We often don't know their original names, but the FS approximations only.
Cheers!
P.S. IMHO the colour in the book you mentioned years ago is 茶褐色 - chahaishoku or chakashoku which is a reddish brown.

Last edited:
Will be nice to see the source, thanks!
I'm also searching for those "mysterious" Japanese colours. We often don't know their original names, but the FS approximations only.
Cheers!
P.S. IMHO the colour in the book you mentioned years ago is 茶褐色 - chahaishoku or chakashoku which is a reddish brown.

no, no, i say this book
hiyousi.jpg

i believe say hiyousi , or at least that's what they told me that it's called, bring this list of color chip sets...
w-kara-.jpg

Comment in the article that I tell you, (now I get the broken link and that is why I have not posted it, I have sent an email to the owner to see if he has changed the server), that the n12 was similar to the fs 30061 something more yellow than n12.

In this photo you can see the strip of the color in question:
J Cockpit8.JPG

And these photos were given to me from photos of him (according to what he told me) that he took in the jungle.(I have asked permission to post the photos here, so if they were not yours, I would delete them immediately).
FB_IMG_1683219268530.jpg
FB_IMG_1683219359479.jpg
FB_IMG_1683531724976.jpg

Last edited:
no, no, i say this book
View attachment 725462

i believe say hiyousi , or at least that's what they told me that it's called, bring this list of color chip sets...
View attachment 725463
Hi Sergio,
AFAIK this book is Kari Kikaku 117 - Color identification Standard for Naval air planes –Temporary Specification No.117 Additional Volume. The colour you are (probably) referring to is I 2 (not 12!), one of the "soil"-colours. Or maybe it is not - I can't understand it from your post. I don't know what exactly is # 12 shown in the picture, and where this number comes from but it appears to me more green than brown. Are we talking of the redish-brown colour of your model or about some other tone? I started asking because these Japanese browns are intriguing and I have never seen the name of the paint you mentioned before (akatsuchi) in any of the Japanese books or additional sources (sites) I have used.
Check this site for more information.
Anyway, don't waste your time with more theory. Keep working on your model. Good luck with it!

Last edited:
Hi Sergio,
AFAIK this book is Kari Kikaku 117 - Color identification Standard for Naval air planes –Temporary Specification No.117 Additional Volume. The colour you are (probably) referring to is I 2 (not 12!), one of the "soil"-colours. Or maybe it is not - I can't understand it from your post. I don't know what exactly is # 12 shown in the picture, and where this number comes from but it appears to me more green than brown. Are we talking about the brown colour of your model or about some other tone? I started asking because these Japanese browns are intriguing and I have never seen the name of the paint you mentioned before in any of the Japanese books or additional sources (sites) I have used.
Check this site for more information.
Anyway, don't waste your time with more theory. Keep working on your beautiful model. Good luck with it!
Cheers!

Hola Sergio,
AFAIK este libro es Kari Kikaku 117 - Norma de identificación de pinturas de aeronaves de la aviación naval Falso Reglamento 117 Particulares El color al que te refieres (probablemente) es el I 2 (¡no el 12!), uno de los colores "tierra". O tal vez no, no lo entiendo por su mensaje. No sé qué es exactamente el número 12 que aparece en la imagen, ni de dónde procede, pero me parece más verde que marrón. ¿Estamos hablando del color marrón de tu modelo o de algún otro tono? Empecé a preguntar porque estos marrones japoneses son intrigantes y nunca he visto el nombre de la pintura que mencionas antes en ninguno de los libros japoneses o fuentes adicionales (sitios) que he utilizado.
Consulta este sitio para obtener más información.
De todos modos, no pierdas el tiempo con más teoría. Sigue trabajando en tu preciosa maqueta. ¡Buena suerte con ella!
¡Saludos!
well, according to this same page that you have given me, it is the N12 red brown, a primer that was given to all the planes that went to the ijanf, in the image I show it to you, although it says that there is no coincidence as I explained before. FS30061 is similar but it is not the same, the tone varies somewhat towards yellow, which, taking into account that the color scale must be reduced, is a color that could be closer to Gunze's H33, which is the color used, which is a reddish brown, but on this page that you have placed some problems appear with the comparisons of the colors for example the fs20061 is not yellow as it indicates for n13... since it is maroon...
Screenshot_2023-06-14-23-31-37-797-edit_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg

Last edited:
Good stuff Sergio. Didn't really follow the whole colour discussion but it's looking good.
discussion???, NO, NO, NO, very very friendly conversation, full of information and good results, it is the conversion of the usual Japanese colors, finding a color that has always been controversial. In a matter of the name, it is the majority that can generate more controversy, but the background that is the most important (as I see it).

For the rest, I'm happy to see that after this time out you think my work is so good despite the thousands of errors I have and the mold has...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back