**** DONE: GB-60 1/48 Avro Anson Mk.I - Zombie Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Andy, love that Mossie - I was out this past spring to take a look at the Mk II Anson they are working on at Nanton and had a good walk around the Mosquito. Amazed at how much decent wood there is on it - we got nuthin' but decayed toothpicks for wood on our Anson (I'm a lousy carpenter but can do CAD and run a CNC router so maybe there's hope :wtf:).
Here's a shot of Anson AX109 (also 33CFTS) that shows the rear facing oil cooler vent; also the full width fin flash. It's from later in the war after they went to the full yellow paint scheme (and blanked of some of the window in a futile attempt to make it a tiny bit less frigid in winter).
AX109-33SFTS.jpg

Here's a less clear pic from Carberry but it has the earlier camo/yellow paint job - you can still make out the vent and just see the fin flash over the wing:
Anson-33SFTS.jpg

I think the oil cooler scoops (both intake and exhaust) were the same shape as on the Mk II but looks like the layout was a bit different: the Mk Is had the intakes on the inboard side and the exhausts on the outboard of each nacelle, while the Mk IIs had intakes both on the starboard side and exhausts both on the port. Maybe something to do with different layout between the Cheetah and Jacobs engines.
cheers
Scott

Attachments

• AX109-33SFTS.jpg
    AX109-33SFTS.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 7
I did a factory reset on my phone today that hopefully will stop it from acting squirrely and took the below pics to show where I'm at right now.

The seam for the part representing the faired over turret insert was not a great fit and to smooth it out is complicated by the scalloped fabric detail. There's still more work to do here including some pretty deep scratches from my aggressive filing.

24010705.jpg

The bottom is pretty much the same story...

24010702.jpg

Despite the ongoing seam cleanup, I added the largest piece of cockpit roof anticipating that I will need to clean up the seams here as well. I guess I can get at the folding seat to move it if need be.

24010701.jpg

The fit of this piece gave me problems because of the resin side panel placement. There were no locating marks so I did my best to line up the sill of the resin part with the fuselage opening. Turns out that it was a fraction of a mm too high but even this small amount couldn't account for the clear part fouling on the upper corner of the resin framing (red arrow below) so much so that there was a 2mm gap that had to be closed between the clear part and the opening. The only solution was to cut the frames (red circles below) and shorten the frame pieces so that the clear part would sit down properly.

24010704.jpg

That whole resin frame was a major pain in the butt. It was warped and very brittle with no easy way to adjust the alignments. I'm glad that much of this will be hidden. With the clear part now glued in place, I'll now need to do some orthoscopic surgery and reattach the frames in the proper locations.

On the other work front, the resin engines have been attached to the nacelles. I'm not going to bother detailing these with ignition wires as, quite frankly, I want to see the back of this project sooner than later.

24010703.jpg

That's it for now. I'm now going to look into the seat placement and that whole oil cooler thing that L LownSlow Scott mentioned above. And yes Scott, I meant that the dihedral was flat-ISH not FLAT FLAT!

Hey L LownSlow Scott, I'm really sorry but my update post on Sunday crossed with yours so I didn't see your pics until now. Thanks very much for those but I'm not sure that I'm any wiser on what to do with these oil coolers as I can't make out the details - not sure what I'm looking for.

As I looked into this oil cooler question a bit further and before I saw your last post, I found an interesting pic from the LAC site which I thought might show the oil cooler retrofit. Here's a crop of it:

1705015836720.png

The finned cooler is gone in this pic and there is a can mounted under each cowl which might be the retrofitted cooler you mentioned but I don't know. I'm guessing they are as I have no other explanation. This would be an easy mod.

The other thing that I'm puzzled about is whether, or not, to include the landing lights on the wing leading edge. CA offers no insight on this, saying just that it's optional. The bit of research I did on this would suggest that the wing landing lights replaced the single one in the nose when the full perspex nose was used. Aircraft with the "solid" nose that incorporated the landing light did not have the wing lights - makes sense. The interesting thing about the above pic is that this a/c has both the wing lights and the solid nose, though the landing light behind the nose lens appears to be missing. So the question is, what did 9982 have? The profile posted earlier has no wing lights and a solid nose so, in the absence of better info, I'll replicate the solid nose with the landing light there and toss the optional wing lights.

My bird is an early BCATP Anson, one that was shipped over from England before the Mk IIs began showing up so I wonder if it would not have retained the narrow RAF fin flash? Yes, the later all yellow birds had the full flash as evident in your pic but did the early trainers that had the DE/DG uppers get new flashes? Are your sure your second pic of #123 isn't an all-yellow version as well? I don't see any demarcation between the yellow underside and the dark upper colours on the nose.

That said, I found the below pic while typing up this post, captioned as being a Cessna Crane - NOT - here: Service Flying Training Airplanes: the Cessna Crane and the Avro Anson | The RCAF in Claresholm During the Second World War

Planes-Parked-G.997-012.100-300dpi-2048x1208.jpg

Dang it! Is nothing simple?!?!

Pressing on and trying to stay warm (-30C outside),, I masked the rear canopy section and moved the folding seat forward and to the side. I didn't want to get into details on how this seat folded and replicate all that so there it sits, glued to the wall.

24011401.jpg

Next up will be to finish the instrument and to glue it to the inside of the clear windscreen piece along with the rudder pedals. As for the oil coolers, in the absence of any better info, I'm going to go with the traditional horseshoe ones supplied with the kit and pretend that my model will be as the aircraft was before the oil was discovered to congeal on the prairies.

Thanks for looking in.

Thanks guys. Should have more to show tomorrow as the car is in the shop. The power steering system objected to the Arctuc temperatures so I'll be locked down.

Hey L LownSlow Scott, I'm really sorry but my update post on Sunday crossed with yours so I didn't see your pics until now. Thanks very much for those but I'm not sure that I'm any wiser on what to do with these oil coolers as I can't make out the details - not sure what I'm looking for.

As I looked into this oil cooler question a bit further and before I saw your last post, I found an interesting pic from the LAC site which I thought might show the oil cooler retrofit. Here's a crop of it:

View attachment 757115

The finned cooler is gone in this pic and there is a can mounted under each cowl which might be the retrofitted cooler you mentioned but I don't know. I'm guessing they are as I have no other explanation. This would be an easy mod.

The other thing that I'm puzzled about is whether, or not, to include the landing lights on the wing leading edge. CA offers no insight on this, saying just that it's optional. The bit of research I did on this would suggest that the wing landing lights replaced the single one in the nose when the full perspex nose was used. Aircraft with the "solid" nose that incorporated the landing light did not have the wing lights - makes sense. The interesting thing about the above pic is that this a/c has both the wing lights and the solid nose, though the landing light behind the nose lens appears to be missing. So the question is, what did 9982 have? The profile posted earlier has no wing lights and a solid nose so, in the absence of better info, I'll replicate the solid nose with the landing light there and toss the optional wing lights.

My bird is an early BCATP Anson, one that was shipped over from England before the Mk IIs began showing up so I wonder if it would not have retained the narrow RAF fin flash? Yes, the later all yellow birds had the full flash as evident in your pic but did the early trainers that had the DE/DG uppers get new flashes? Are your sure your second pic of #123 isn't an all-yellow version as well? I don't see any demarcation between the yellow underside and the dark upper colours on the nose.

That said, I found the below pic while typing up this post, captioned as being a Cessna Crane - NOT - here: Service Flying Training Airplanes: the Cessna Crane and the Avro Anson | The RCAF in Claresholm During the Second World War

View attachment 757126

Dang it! Is nothing simple?!?!
hi Andy. Yeah, seems like every aircraft you try to research has its own idiosyncrasieso_O. The oil coolers are located farther back on the nacelle, just above the wheels. You can see the intake and exhaust scoops on your top pic just behind that little black hole (for the hand starter crank). I think those cans under the cowls are some sort of retrofit air filter - maybe rigged up because the skis were throwing up a lot of snow. You're probably OK leaving the external coolers on as that would represent the aircraft before it went into the shop in Winnipeg for winter conversion, usually a few months after they arrived.
Folding seat looks good.
Re landing lights: all the Canadian Ansons I have seen have the wing landing lights. The nose mounted light may have been for patrol aircraft? The trainers had a perspex window in the nose port so the bomb aimer could look ahead and direct the pilot toward the target.
Re instrument panels: good luck! Seems like every Anson I have looked at has a different instrument configuration :mad:. You're undoubtedly safe with whatever layout you choose because unless somebody has a photograph of your aircraft taken on the date you are modelling there's no way of proving what it had for instrumentation. Going pre-winter conversion is again a good idea because they added a panel for controls for the oil cooler vents, oil dilution, etc.
Heres , photo of the oil cooler in a stripped nacelle - its that round thing behind the firewall and below the oil tank:

Nacelle-R01-20231221.jpg

cheers
Scott

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back