**** DONE: GB-60 1/48 Avro Anson Mk.I - Zombie Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Scott, very informative. I see now how the unit was mounted but, again, I'll make my life easier and stick with the pre-mod finned cooler to avoid having to scratch build the intake and exhaust fairings. I also think that I'll stick with the nose landing light as well since the way the profile shows the original nose cone. I'll rely on the excuse that my model will depict the aircraft fresh for the UK with no mods and no dings from the sprogs.

Cracking on then, the instrument panel which was assembled a few years back was installed onto the inside of the canopy insert. Again, the absence of locating pins or any helpful reference points made this a trial and error affair, as evidenced by the glue marks. I used CA gel, quickly gluing the panel on and then seeing if it fit into the cockpit. The third try did the trick. The glue marks look ugly, yes, but will be hidden under the sill when everything is together. The center console, seen on the left side of the resin sprue, was painted, as was the compass. The latter doesn't appear in the instructions, nor is there a shelf on which to mount it.

24011501.jpg

Mounting of the console was another brain teaser. The instructions just tell you to slap it onto the instrument panel but again there are no locating aids. The unit needs to sit flush with the floor though so how to measure the gap? I'm not small enough. To do this, I stuck a piece of tape on the back of the panel and trial fit the canopy. Then I looked through the nose to see if the tape was touching the floor. Adjust the tape as necessary and repeat until the right distance is found. Note the excellent detail on the instrument faces that the kit provides - amongst the best I've seen but unfortunately largely hidden.

24011502.jpg

With the tape now the right length, the console was glued in place and this allowed the rudder pedals to be fitted as well. Pretty ugly modeling but I gooped a lot of glue on the IP and other parts because I don't want them coming loose. Again, all this is invisible through the nose.

24011503.jpg

Here's the other side with the console now painted, compass glued in, and the PE levers glued on.

24011504.jpg

During the CA gluing, I used some accelerator and some of it ran onto the inside of the clear parts. It left a dull stain and neither water, alcohol, nor Windex removed the stain. However, a bit of Future brushed on a tiny trial area seemed to hide it so I dipped the clear part in a bowl of Future and will allow that to dry over night before gluing the insert to the model.

In other news, I drill out the small clear illumination panels. The kit provides clear parts for these but they look pretty ratty and will likely not fit well. I plan on closing the ports with Testors Clear Parts Cement once the model is painted, since the holes aren't too big.

24011505.jpg
24011506.jpg

That's it for today. Once the canopy is in place, there will be yet more masking and then a coat of grey green applied to everything to both create the interior colour as well as to see where I need to fill or file. Thanks again for stopping by.

Last edited:
Pressing on and trying to stay warm (-30C outside),, I masked the rear canopy section and moved the folding seat forward and to the side. I didn't want to get into details on how this seat folded and replicate all that so there it sits, glued to the wall.

View attachment 757635

Next up will be to finish the instrument and to glue it to the inside of the clear windscreen piece along with the rudder pedals. As for the oil coolers, in the absence of any better info, I'm going to go with the traditional horseshoe ones supplied with the kit and pretend that my model will be as the aircraft was before the oil was discovered to congeal on the prairies.

Thanks for looking in.
This is a lovely project and looks that you have a lot of work at hand my friend..... =D>

Thanks guys, much appreciated. I see that I left a photo attachment dangling in the last post so will pick up on that here.

There's some pretty nice resin that comes with this kit, including these delicate engine cowls. The attachment of these parts to their plugs is a bit awkward though and requires a lot of care when sawing the parts loose. The part on the left has been rough-sawn away from the plug and awaits fine cutting to open the front. The one on the right is finished after careful cutting and sanding if the thin and brittle edges. Fingers crossed that the other one doesn't suffer any damage.

24011507.jpg

Thanks again. More net surfing ( https://caspir.warplane.com/asrc/acn/200000123/#N9982 )revealed this on my aircraft:

Hi Andy, great following along with this thread. It looks like the kit is a bit difficult! A little bit of information about the Anson you're building, if you don't have it already. N9982 was one of 850 Ansons ordered in 1938 as the sixth RAF production batch, to Contract No.76119/38, and was built at Avro's Newton Heath factory to Works Order 6080 in the batch of 350 aircraft, serials N9526 to N9999. You'll have to look up the aircraft's movement card to find out completion and delivery dates. The RAF Museum at Hendon will have a copy of its movement card (Air Ministry Form 78) before it went to Canada.

Some other stuff that might be of interest. Bill Reid's Anson I lived in the hangar I used to work in for about three months and in that time I took a shed load on images. The quality isn't that great as they were taken with a wee hand held camera I used to sneak into work. Here are some interior shots of the flight deck, showing the instrument panel and throttle console. Note also the fold up second seat, shown down and up.

53468860368_a36bfe9b92_b.jpg
Anson interior 018

53468723866_78479ceaa3_b.jpg
Anson interior 014

53468723831_c8ae7e91a4_b.jpg
Anson interior 019

Fuel pressure gauge as seen from the pilot's seat.

53468860358_69d0caed76_b.jpg
Anson interior 020

Looking into the nose, note the light fixture, this is depicted as a maritime patrol aircraft after all.

53469141465_1c162405e9_b.jpg
Anson interior 017

The fold up second seat folded...

53469041479_2b9b0a7a3d_b.jpg
Anson interior 013

And unfolded.

53469141515_7aea7c3c72_b.jpg
Anson interior 012

I have a few more images of the interior aft, but it looks like you've closed that area up, now. I noticed that the model is sparing in its detail on the bomb bay doors. This might help you with detailing them. This is the left hand bay, note the trailing aerial tube inboard.

53467877957_b58d9f8850_b.jpg
Bomb bay doors closed

I have interior shots of the bomb bay if you choose to go to that much detail, but it would require quite a bit of work.

The aircraft is a regular fixture on our airshow circuit, but it is up for sale.

53368676862_265f807128_k.jpg
_ADP2541

Last edited:
Thanks for those pictures Grant nuuumannn nuuumannn and for the production details. I was not able to locate that info so good to know. From what I gather on the folding seat, this would probably have been installed for the dual control mod noted on my RCAF record card above. Prior to that, it looks like there was a simpler folding seat, like what is depicted in the kit, for use by an observer. The below excerpt is from the 1937 manual available on our site:

1705509417886.png

The seat there shows no back rest nor those brace frames on the sides and so seems to be different form the one you show. The only issue might be that I've shown the seat incorrectly folded so that the cushion faces into the cabin. If it's a "tip up seat" as noted in the above pic, then I'm thinking the cushion would have folded up revealing the underside of the seat to the pilot. I might go and change that before gluing the canopy on.

I'll stick with no nav light in the port wing. Other things I'm in the process of checking/doing:

- starter crank holes in nacelles - just need to verify that these were mirrored and on the OUTBOARD face of each nacelle for the Cheetah-engined versions. The port nacelle has it on the outboard side for sure.
- Glazed circles on the underside of the nose - how many? It least one for drift sight
- confirm details of sliding panel that covers bomb sight glass and replicate (I shaved these off with seam work)
- add air thermometer (large cylinder at port side of nose, not included in kit)
- upward lamp on canopy roof?
- ejector chute opening for the Browning gun.

I continue to plod....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back