**** DONE: GB-60 1/48 Avro Anson Mk.I - Zombie Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mine's going to be pretty incomplete too so we're good! Scott, have you or your team been in touch with the guys in Nanton AB? They're doing an Anson too and may have spare parts hanging around.

The seat is now in its FINAL position, right or wrong, before I set about closing the cockpit. Anything after this will need to be done arthroscopically through the nose!

24011901.jpg

Painted the engines with Tamiya metallic grey and the inside of the cowls a darkened XF-71 Cockpit Green. The gearbox will be done in silver before I stick the cowls on. The resin engines are missing the con rods and ignition wires but they will stay that way. I might add scratch-built exhaust rings on the back if they turn out to be visible.

24011902.jpg

That cockpit really looks nice. I'm fond of the Anson. I always imagined its interior to more "de-luxe" though. I guess I thought it would've made a nice little corporate plane back post war. Nice job on the belts.

Mine's going to be pretty incomplete too so we're good! Scott, have you or your team been in touch with the guys in Nanton AB? They're doing an Anson too and may have spare parts hanging around.
Yes, I was out to see the various restorations underway at Nanton last spring, also dropped in to the Hanger in Calgary. Haven't completed cataloguing our parts inventory yet but will undountedly have a shopping list to go begging with in the future. Hope to get back again this sping as well.
cheers
Scott

Thanks very much chaps. Well, I'm stumped again. I need a good picture of what the Mk I (Cheetah IX engine) carb air intake looked like. This is what the instructions would have us do:

24011903.jpg

Part R49 is a semi-circular dished piece of resin, sorta scoop shaped but very shallow. But if it was a scoop, then it would be facing the wrong way. The part can be seen by the red arrow below and it's supposed to be glued into the circled notch. Doing that would effectively close the intake opening so this plane wouldn't go very far.

24011904.jpg

I have scoured the web and my references and found very little to give me a clue as to what this intake was supposed to look like. There are great pics of the restored Mk I from down under on line and from Grant but that one has a big air filter hanging down from this area. The best period picture I could find was from this excellent collection: Canadian Warplanes 3: Avro Anson and a detail of that pic with some gamma correction is shown below. The erk's hand is almost touching what I want replicate.

1705711496373.png

I'm not sure I can definitively make out what I'm seeing, can you? There does seem to be a depression in the nacelle that accommodates an inlet detail. Low res plans I have show this:

1705712082947.png
1705712137300.png

Does anyone have details or know what this area is supposed to look like?

Thanks for trying Vic. First pics is the wrong mark with 9 cylinder engine. The other pics have the right engine but I don't really see an intake detail.

From this shot of a New Zealand Mk I there doesn't appear to be an air scoop for the carb intake:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6d/Avro_Anson_-_AS_Cheetah_engine_(9259356055).jpg
Avro 652A Anson Mk.I - Air Force Museum of New Zealand
Sorry but we received our engines and nacelle panels in various stages of disassembly so I can't give any meaningful photos of what we have, however I don't recall coming across any parts that would have been an intake scoop or duct so that jibes with the NZ pic, i.e. the updraft carb just sucked in air from behind the cowling. For what it's worth, this also matches the way Airfix has modelled their Mk I.
cheers
Scott

Thanks guys. More hurdles to come yet Wayne as there are some misalignments of the cockpit roofs that will need to be addressed.

Anyway, I didn't realize until I got to Nanton yesterday that their Anson has the original Cheetah IX engines. I had always thought that it had the later Jacobs units. I guess I never paid that much attention, given that I have a much sexier Mosquito to work on. Anyway, one of the engines had this detail bolted onto the carburetor throat so I'm guessing that this is what may have been carried on my bird. I'm also guessing that the ports on the sides are for either hot air or "filtered" air.

20240120_100427.jpg
20240120_100436.jpg
20240120_100446.jpg
20240120_100505.jpg

Comparing these pics with the period pic in post 129 above, it might be the same piece of kit with the lower scoop obscured and the side port appearing to be ducted into the engine bay behind the exhaust outlet.

3 hours of bloody masking today after which I was able to shoot some paint on the clear parts. There are several gaps and steps that need filling so there's more plastic shavings to be made in my future.

24012002.jpg
24012001.jpg
24012003.jpg

I've brushed on some surface primer to allow that to set over night. See you when I've done some more scrubbing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back