**** DONE: GB-60 1/48 Avro Anson Mk.I - Zombie Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wow, that's a new one on me - never heard of a Cheetah in a Mk II, the Jacobs kinda being one of the things that makes a Mk II a Mk II!!? Very strange as the engine mount ring, engine controls, hydraulics, etc. are quite different - not an easy switch. I now know what one of my first investigations is gonna be next time I'm in Nanton :). Next question is that air scoop a standard Mk I fitting or a later "Canadianization" that's been grafted on? Lots of questions opened with this one.
Don't see any sign of a filter in the photos so the two settings will be for cold and hot air: either cold air fed directly from the scoop or carb heat with heated air coming from some location near the exhaust ring (the Cheetah X had a hot air manifold that actually was ducted inside the exhaust ring but have never seen that on a Cheetah IX).
Marathon job on that masking, good luck.
cheers
Scott

Thanks guys. Painful yes Wayne.

Wow, that's a new one on me - never heard of a Cheetah in a Mk II, the Jacobs kinda being one of the things that makes a Mk II a Mk II!!? Very strange as the engine mount ring, engine controls, hydraulics, etc. are quite different - not an easy switch. I now know what one of my first investigations is gonna be next time I'm in Nanton :). Next question is that air scoop a standard Mk I fitting or a later "Canadianization" that's been grafted on? Lots of questions opened with this one.
Don't see any sign of a filter in the photos so the two settings will be for cold and hot air: either cold air fed directly from the scoop or carb heat with heated air coming from some location near the exhaust ring (the Cheetah X had a hot air manifold that actually was ducted inside the exhaust ring but have never seen that on a Cheetah IX).
Marathon job on that masking, good luck.
cheers
Scott
OK, I must apologise as my ignorance of this aircraft type is showing. I thought, wrongly, that the Jacobs engine was a 9 cylinder unit and so, seeing that the units mounted on the Nanton bird were 7 cylinder, I immediately thought that these were Cheetahs. My bad.

The engines on the Nanton restoration are in fact Jacob's L-6s and that Anson is a Mk II, not a Mk I. The intake unit, I agree, probably features a carb air heat duct rather than a filter. I did read that carb air heat was a mod made to the original batch of British Ansons shipped to Canada, of which mine was one. However, it's not certain whether my bird was modified in its first summer before being converted to a dual controlled trainer so I'm back to what this intake would have looked like for my machine.

The Airfix Mk I has a detail that looks very similar to what Classic Airframes provided, i.e. a small bulged insert that appears to allow air to be drawn into the intake from behind, rather than a forward facing scoop, so that's what I'll do.

These will either help or hinder, Andy... details of Bill Reid's Anson Mk.I K6183 (ZK-RRA).
(From 'Fighters & Bombers', by Gavin Conroy)
20240122_231017.jpg

20240122_231041.jpg

20240122_231108.jpg

20240122_231157.jpg

No worries Andy. None of the kiwi Ansons had the above arrangement either, but can't find clear shots of the rear of the cowl to see exactly what is there. This is the best of what I have from various books (all Mk.Is):
Note some kiwi Ansons were retrofitted with Oxford cowlings.
20240122_230628.jpg

20240122_230654.jpg

20240122_230523.jpg

20240122_225244.jpg

20240122_225043.jpg

20240122_225107.jpg

20240122_230825.jpg

Good stuff Evan, thanks.

More frustrations. This time it's the sliding panel on the underside of the nose. All pics are Mk I's and all are from different aircraft.

Clear panel:

1706134189843.png
1706135371418.png
1706135581679.png

Solid panel:

1706133834926.png
1706133944311.png
1706134524724.png
1706134974835.png
1706133649263.png

Bogus (!?) profiles and plans:

1706135815353.png
1706135869172.png
1706135935274.png
1706136248905.png

Honestly, I've seen more wartime pics with the panel in a solid colour than clear so I think I will go that route.

Good stuff Evan, thanks.

More frustrations. This time it's the sliding panel on the underside of the nose. All pics are Mk I's and all are from different aircraft.

Clear panel:

View attachment 759563View attachment 759574View attachment 759585

Solid panel:

View attachment 759559View attachment 759560View attachment 759570View attachment 759573View attachment 759558

Bogus (!?) profiles and plans:

View attachment 759586View attachment 759587View attachment 759589View attachment 759590

Honestly, I've seen more wartime pics with the panel in a solid colour than clear so I think I will go that route.
Makes sense that if the aircraft wasn't used for bombing practice the clear panel up front would be replaced with a solid one. There was, however bombing practice taking place at 33 SFTS (bombing range was over Lake Winnipeg), so at least some of the Ansons at Carberry would have had clear panels. Like I said earlier, seems like every station (and even every individual aircraft) had its own distinctive character. Makes the research interesting :wtf: .

Makes sense that if the aircraft wasn't used for bombing practice the clear panel up front would be replaced with a solid one. There was, however bombing practice taking place at 33 SFTS (bombing range was over Lake Winnipeg), so at least some of the Ansons at Carberry would have had clear panels. Like I said earlier, seems like every station (and even every individual aircraft) had its own distinctive character. Makes the research interesting :wtf: .
The thing is, if the panel slid back anyway for bomb aiming then it would seem to make no difference if it was clear or solid. At least that's how my pea brain sees it.

The thing is, if the panel slid back anyway for bomb aiming then it would seem to make no difference if it was clear or solid. At least that's how my pea brain sees it.
Too true, never considered that:).

On another topic, thanks for raising that whole carb intake thing, made me have a dig under our surviving nacelle mounted engine to see what's actually under there - we haven't started any resto work on it yet so it's in pretty rough shape, but even though it has been bent up a bit I think you can see the general arrangement:

Front view shows the intake (circled in magenta) just under oil pump

Carb1.png

Right side view gives a better idea of the vanes dividing the cold air intake. The hot air (carb heat) intake is that opening behind the exhaust header with a short length of flex pipe leading to the plenum under the carb. I think the cold air scoop has been bent upwards - it should face more straight forward.
Carb2.png

Left side view shows the hot air duct on that side - pretty primitive but I guess it worked. You can see here how the intake has been rotated back from its original position.
Carb3.png

Hope this fills in some questions. And be thankful you don't have to reassemble a working intake out of what you see here :p.

cheers
Scott

Last edited:
Thanks for that Scott. I'm looking at these pics on my phone and am not making out the details too well. Will look at them on my laptop tomorrow. There's another aspect of this that i need to look at in regard to the exhaust arrangement and I'll report back on that if/when things are a bit clearer.

Those are definitely "aftermarket" filters. Those may be Cheetah XV engines and not IXs .

It definitely has Cheetah IXs, a former work colleague of mine overhauled the engines in his workshop.

More of the filter arrangement on Bill's Anson. Bear in mind Bill has compromised on operational details such as electric starter and so forth for the ease of operation and certification, but those concessions aside it is as close to as it appeared out of the factory in Mk.I condition as a maritime recon aircraft.

53489870029_149ca33e0a_b.jpg
Carb intake filter

Note the carb intake without the filter fitted. This is the aircraft undergoing restoration. From what wartime images I have seen of Mk.Is, it would not be amiss to depict the aircraft with the simple airscoop without a filter as in this image. It is dependent on the condition of the aircraft when it arrived in Canada though.

53489568426_8fc99e6f10_b.jpg
Cheetah IX

By contrast, this is IWM's Mk.I with later model wings, cowls and their subsequent filter. The intake as shown above was the same, it was just the filter on the lower cowl that was different.

53489979635_8fc4610f0e_b.jpg
IWM Anson I

This is MH120, or VH-BAF as it was when Bill Reid bought it. This is at Air World, Wangaratta in Australia. Note the later style of cowl.

53488668692_0dd888e88d_c.jpg
VH-BAF 001 s

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back