**** DONE: GB-60 1/48 Avro Anson Mk.I - Zombie Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Wojtek.

First pic - didn't notice that before but that particular bird is heavily modified. Oil coolers replaced as described earlier by Scott. Also looks like filters on the carb intakes.

Second pic - good catch. Very hard to see. In both this and the first pic, there looks to be a shroud around the exhaust. I'm starting to think this was some sort of added cockpit heat source. You can see a pipe further back going into the nacelle.

Third pic - seen and posted earlier but thanks.

Fourth pic - did not show up in my searches but confirms details as I understand them. Note that there is an exhaust port seen on the lowest cylinder that routes back and around the carb intake. I think that that is the black object just to the left of the mechanic's hand in the third pic. This is consistent with Airfix's take on the routing:

1706582951862.png

Second pic - good catch. Very hard to see. In both this and the first pic, there looks to be a shroud around the exhaust. I'm starting to think this was some sort of added cockpit heat source. You can see a pipe further back going into the nacelle.

I agree with you , Andy. That may be a kind of the heat source but the flame damper could be more likely. It can be seen below. It looks like the exhausts could be attached optionally. IMHO the Airfix could make it too much simplyfied. Additionally it seems that the exhausts could be mounted also on the outer side of the engine nacelles.

anson5a.jpg

anson5.jpg

anson5b.jpg

anson5c.jpg

anson6.jpg

the pic source: the net.

Also you may check on the site ... may come in handy ... Avro Anson dump at Red Deer

Thanks my friend. First 4 pics are all Mk II's or later. Last 2 are Mk I's yes. The one with the day camo does appear to be fitted with extensions. I found that pic several times but missed that detail. The one with the dark finish might have flame dampers fitted for night ops. The extension is on the outside of the nacelle and different from what is shown on the drawings so not sure what to make of that.

Anyway, the majority of pics that I have seen show the single exhaust outlet on each nacelle for the Mk I and that's what I'll go with.

:thumbright:

As I said it earlier the long exhausts seem to be the option because if these were mounted the short ones didn't. So IMHO you don't need to attach them.

Yeah, photos of that long pipe exhaust are pretty rare for a couple of reasons:
(1) they were mostly (only?) fitted on Canadian Ansons with the "winterization" package installed at the McDonald Bros. facility in Winnipeg. The long pipe was part of the cabin heating system similar to that used on a great number of Canadian WWII trainers (Harvards, Cornelles, etc.). A small pipe with an opening at the forward end was fitted inside the extension of the exhaust pipe; the hot exhaust heated the air flowing through the smaller pipe, which was then routed into the cabin.
(2) The exhaust extensions were on the inboard side of the nacelle, so almost never visible in a photo (the obvious exception being that last photo in Wurger's post 183 - I have NEVER seen another Anson with the exhaust extensions outboard on the nacelles. I can only think that it was a local modification performed at that base - once again proving that every BCATB base and/or aircraft was slightly different). [ later edit: AH, found the source photo for those dark Ansons... no wonder the exhausts on the wrong side! They're Aussie aircraft :p:D!! ]
A couple of shots of the exhaust system on our unrestored Cheetah IX; it's missing the long extension and the front piece of the fresh air pipe, but you can see how the exhaust tube curves at the bottom where it would fit with the extension. Also visible (better in the second pic) is the smaller fresh air pipe that fits inside the exhaust tube:
EX-2023122.jpg

Carb2.png

The fresh air pipe would have exited from the exhaust pipe into the nacelle just ahead of the front spar (visible at the left edge of the top photo) and attached to a length of flexible metal tubing to be routed through the wing into the cabin. Primitive and probably not very effective given how drafty the Annie was.
cheers
Scott

Last edited:
Thanks again guys. Always learning.

Here are a few shots of my test-shot of the rescribed nose after masking off the few small openings. A bit of fill with PVA will be needed on the top of the nose cone seam and then we should be good to go. Sorry for the blur.

24013001.jpg
24013002.jpg
24013003.jpg

I cut the gun barrel off to facitiate painting and, though it may have been deleted on the real bird, I'll probably stick it back in. I'll also drill a small hole for the pressure gauge for the air system before gluing the wings on.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Evolve it does.

Resin cowls have the inner exhaust port holes plugged with Tamiya putty and await sanding.

24013102.jpg

Decided to file a recess in the nacelle and add the exhaust ring loop ala Airfix. I think this makes sense based on reference shots. I also added a small square of rod to represent the not-so-easily-seen carb intake. Note also that the wing mouldings have been sanded down to lessen the pronounced grid effect.

24013101.jpg

I'm not going to put a scoop on the carb intake. Here's one of my reference shots for both above details from Canadian Warplanes 3: Avro Anson :

ation-School-at-Rivers-Camp--Manitoba--Photo-NDIL-.jpg

Thanks for looking in and for your continued interest.

Nice touch with the exhaust and carb intake detail Andy. Good call on the wing landing light as I'm pretty sure it was standard on most Mk Is. The lights were mounted on gimbals and could be controlled left/right & up/down from the instrument panel. Also good idea lightening up the wing panel lines; the old girl actually had pretty smooth plywood covered wings and the ribs and stringers didn't show through. Airfix did an even worse job than C.A. as it appears they detailed later model (Mk 19 +) metal wings with panel "cushioning" on theirs - likely used the "Mk I" in the Imperial War Museum as their source, which has had its original wings and motors swapped for the metal ones. Looks like I'll have a fair bit of fill and sanding on that one when I start it.
cheers
Scott

Thanks guys.

.... the old girl actually had pretty smooth plywood covered wings and the ribs and stringers didn't show through. Airfix did an even worse job than C.A. as it appears they detailed later model (Mk 19 +) metal wings with panel "cushioning" on theirs - likely used the "Mk I" in the Imperial War Museum as their source, which has had its original wings and motors swapped for the metal ones. Looks like I'll have a fair bit of fill and sanding on that one when I start it.
cheers
Scott

While I agree that the the wings were plywood covered, I'm not convinced that they were "smooth". Certainly, they were not textured to the extent that Classic Airframes represented them but photos and referenced suggest some unevenness. Take a look at this shot:

Avro-Anson--No--4-Service-Flying-Training-School--Saskatoon--Saskatchewan--4-Oct-1940---MIKAN-...jpg

This excerpt from the 1938 manual available on this site, while not a good reproduction, does show some evidence of the stringers and rib structure underneath the skin:

1706811083829.png

Are you absolutely sure that the Duxford example has a metal main wing? I have followed the discussion on this at BM and I see no evidence of rivets on the wing structure. My picture below shows definite riveted tailplanes but none on the mains.

167 reduced.jpg

A better shot of the main plane is here linked from the BM discussion noted above:

4877%2008.jpg

I do see rivets on the ailerons but, as the 1938 manual says, the ailerons could be either plywood or metal. Here is the later metal wing from the same source:

Anson-0013.jpg

At any rate, I'm going to reduce the texture of the CA mouldings considerably but not remove it completely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back