**** DONE: GB-60 1/48 Avro Anson Mk.I - Zombie Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys.

While I agree that the the wings were plywood covered, I'm not convinced that they were "smooth". Certainly, they were not textured to the extent that Classic Airframes represented them but photos and referenced suggest some unevenness. Take a look at this shot:

View attachment 761103

This excerpt from the 1938 manual available on this site, while not a good reproduction, does show some evidence of the stringers and rib structure underneath the skin:

View attachment 761104

Are you absolutely sure that the Duxford example has a metal main wing? I have followed the discussion on this at BM and I see no evidence of rivets on the wing structure. My picture below shows definite riveted tailplanes but none on the mains.

View attachment 761105

A better shot of the main plane is here linked from the BM discussion noted above:

View attachment 761106

I do see rivets on the ailerons but, as the 1938 manual says, the ailerons could be either plywood or metal. Here is the later metal wing from the same source:

View attachment 761107
At any rate, I'm going to reduce the texture of the CA mouldings considerably but not remove it completely.
Hey! It's the guys from Saskatoon (top photo)!
Yeah, I think you're right about the Duxford aircraft having a wooden wing - I'm just gettin' blind and grumpy in my old age :wtf:.
It does look pretty smooth from this angle https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8c/Avro_Anson_I_%E2%80%98N4877_-_MK-V%E2%80%99_%28G-
AMDA%29_%2828430645729%29.jpg

Wing-Duxford.jpg

But that ply skin on the part of the wing behind the front spar is only 0.8mm, about the same as a couple of sheets of card stock, so I guess some framing showing through is to be expected.
As for the lumpiness in the Saskatoon shot, that's just prairie dirt smudges on the wings :D.
cheers
Scott

Thanks for popping by for a look guys. Just a bit to report. Need to get a move on but once I get past next few little details, I think the things will move quickly.

The landing light opening was cut into the wing leading edge using the clear lens part as a template and I'm happy with the fit. For once I didn't cut the hole too big! The pic below has the lens dry-fitted into the new opening.
24020502.jpg

Also just seen above is a hole in the top of the nacelle which will see a small piece of tubing added to represent the oil tank vent.

As I discovered too late, the resin part that is supposed to go into the opening was designed to be set in place before the wing halves were glued together:

24020503.jpg

This of course meant that I had to cobble together a scratch-built substitute which was easy enough. However, another shocker was that I lost (or never had) one of the two resin landing lamps. One was still on the casting block but the other was broken off.

24020501.jpg

I cleaned up my work space and did a thorough search within a 6 foot pinging radius of my bench but came up empty. I don't recall ever removing one from the casting block, unless I stole it for another project years ago, but either way I'll need to scratch up a sibling for the one I have. That will be the subject of my next post, whenever that will be.

Fabrication of the new landing light began with finding a hunk of round sprue slightly larger in diameter than the resin piece that needed to be matched. After cutting a suitable piece, I clamped it in the chuck of my old corded drill which has a lock in the trigger to keep it running. The drill was firmly help in my workbench vice.

24020602.jpg

So with my "lathe" now set up, I turned on the drill and began shaping the piece with a couple of files:

24020603.jpg
24020604.jpg

Once I was happy with the shape, I removed the piece from the drill, clamped it into my smaller bench vice, and carefully hollowed out the dish using drill bits spun in my hand.

24020605.jpg

The finished light was then cut off and installed. It's not perfect but will more than suffice.

24020606.jpg
24020607.jpg

Also completed last night were the remaining details around each engine nacelle. On the top of the nacelle can be seen a small tube representing the oil tank vent. On the lower portion, in front of the wing LE can be seen the extend hole with the two elbowed pipes sticking out. I made these using solder and I think these are for cooling the generator units. Above that can be seen a small hole representing the visual fuel gauge pointed out by Grant a while back. I might yet make this hole a tad larger. Finally, the resin cowls have been added as well.

24020601.jpg

With all that now done, I've decided to blank off the fixed machine gun opening on the fuselage, after which the wings will be glued on. Thanks again for following along.

Fabrication of the new landing light began with finding a hunk of round sprue slightly larger in diameter than the resin piece that needed to be matched. After cutting a suitable piece, I clamped it in the chuck of my old corded drill which has a lock in the trigger to keep it running. The drill was firmly help in my workbench vice.

View attachment 762032

So with my "lathe" now set up, I turned on the drill and began shaping the piece with a couple of files:

View attachment 762033View attachment 762034

Once I was happy with the shape, I removed the piece from the drill, clamped it into my smaller bench vice, and carefully hollowed out the dish using drill bits spun in my hand.

View attachment 762035

The finished light was then cut off and installed. It's not perfect but will more than suffice.

View attachment 762036View attachment 762037

Also completed last night were the remaining details around each engine nacelle. On the top of the nacelle can be seen a small tube representing the oil tank vent. On the lower portion, in front of the wing LE can be seen the extend hole with the two elbowed pipes sticking out. I made these using solder and I think these are for cooling the generator units. Above that can be seen a small hole representing the visual fuel gauge pointed out by Grant a while back. I might yet make this hole a tad larger. Finally, the resin cowls have been added as well.

View attachment 762031

With all that now done, I've decided to blank off the fixed machine gun opening on the fuselage, after which the wings will be glued on. Thanks again for following along.
I should not be i followed quite a few build of you now, but yes i am amazed. Well done.

Thanks guys. Major steps forward now.

I blanked off the machine gun trough. On the top of the fuselage you can see where I applied some Grey Tamiya Surface Primer to fill in the area around the ugly seam that I tried to fix before.

24020802.jpg

Here's a close-up of that ugly seam area after I sanded away the primer. Another application will be needed as the light shows where there are still some indentations that need to be filled. By this point, my careful masking is starting to show some fraying.

24020803.jpg

On the wing, the lens was CA-glued in place after dipping it in Future. It was a bit of a tight squeeze and I had to do a bit of trimming on the details I added. One of the thin pieces of plastic on the inner side folded over as well but this will be partly hidden after I mask and paint the framing. The lens was blended into the wing using jewellers files and wet sanding blocks up to 12000 grit to polish it all up.

24020804.jpg

The nacelles were finished off with the addition of the slightly oversized resin oil coolers.

24020805.jpg

With this all done, it was time to glue on the wings. As you can see, the kit doesn't give you much t go with here - a straight but joint that required three hands to hold and apply the glue. I probably should have gone out and bought some tube glue but in the end I was able to fiddle with applying TET while holding the joints together.

24020806.jpg

After the first wing had set for about an hour, I tackled the next one, which didn't go as well as the first. I always pay close attention to symmetrical dihedral (judging clue!) and so take extra time to ensure things line up properly. In his case, I made sure that the two wing tips were the same distance from the bench top using my Vernier Gauge. At first I couldn't get things to line up at all, until I realized that, while I was holding the fuselage down to my bench with a bit of pressure, the contact points on the wings were the two oil coolers which are asymmetrically mounted so things kept twisting out of alignment! That's why I moved everything forward a bit to allow the coolers to clear the edge of my bench.

24020801.jpg

More sanding and smoothing to come as I continue to tackle the fuselage seam and the wing roots. See you then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back