**** DONE: GB-60 1/48 Avro Anson Mk.I - Zombie Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

More frustrations. This time it's the sliding panel on the underside of the nose. All pics are Mk I's and all are from different aircraft.

It appears that the underside panels are covers that can be simply slid into place. There is a lip that is visible in this image where such a cover can be slid into. I would imagine the glazed part is the same behind it.

53490001040_88aa449bd8_b.jpg
Underside glazing

Thanks for all the pics. My brain hurts.

"Glazed" panel will be solid on my model otherwise I gotta hack away plastic to make the opening bigger. Easier to make the panel solid.

Intake and exhaust comments will need to wait til I have more time to explain what I'm going to do and why. I acknowledge that whatever I do has a strong chance of being "wrong" and the more I delve into it, the less sh!t I'm giving. :lol:

"Glazed" panel will be solid on my model otherwise I gotta hack away plastic to make the opening bigger. Easier to make the panel solid.

It sounds like the model is already made with the cover in place, then. Whatever is the easiest for you. It does appear it was a sliding cover though. As for not giving a crap, that's not like you, Andy... :razz:

It sounds like the model is already made with the cover in place, then. Whatever is the easiest for you. It does appear it was a sliding cover though. As for not giving a crap, that's not like you, Andy... :razz:
The model is half and half. The portion within the nose cone is clear but behind that is solid plastic where, if it was supposed to be clear, there is no rectangular cutout. The model is similar to the bogus profile noses I posted above.

The portion within the nose cone is clear but behind that is solid plastic where, if it was supposed to be clear, there is no rectangular cutout.

Well, bear in mind it is a model. Evidently the aircraft was glazed in that position and had removable covers, the slots for which are visible in the images I've posted.

Yep... Will just add my last words on the subject though, if that's ok, which I read today. It regards the RNZAF Anson Mk.Is, but is very interesting.
(Excerpt from 'NZPAF, RNZAF Aircraft Colour Schemes', by Warren P. Russell)

'During late 1943 or early 1944 NZ402 had it's blister cowlings replaced by Oxford cowlings. This gave the impression of an Anson Mk.10. The reason for this change was an attempt to cure continual overheating problems during summer operations, which resulted in bent and seized valves, broken valve springs and heavy oil consumption. This trial was successful enough to warrant converting all other Ansons, over the next few months, to the now familiar Oxford cowling'.

Thanks gents.

Moving forward, I worked on the nose area today. This is what the underside looks like when the kit is assembled. The moulded tracks for the sliding panel were sanded off some time ago as I did seam work. The two glazed ports are just visible in the light shine. These were glued in with CA and blended into the fuselage plastic with a file and progressively smoother wet sanding stages. Note how the details depict neither a fully glazed sliding panel nor a fully solid panel. The seam between the grey and clear plastic bisects the panel in the closed position.

24012802.jpg

Below are the finished details per my interpretation. The rails were added using thinly sliced styrene card placed on edge and the panel was cut from the same stuff and glued in place. The proportioning of all this was eye-balled from pics.

24012803.jpg

On the topside, the clear nose part has been blended into the fuselage curvature. I also added the clear lenses for the illumination ports and treated them the same way as the ports on the bottom.

24012801.jpg

Since the above pics were taken I've rescribed these areas and will apply another coat of paint to check things over. Thanks for following along.

Thanks friends.

So...the exhausts. Here's what the kit manufacturer wants you to do:

20240128_171722.jpg

The two parts R48 represent exhaust stubs which are fine and good. These can be seen on pretty much every pic of a Mk. I Anson. Parts R37 are, apparently, additional, longer exhaust stubs. Not so fine and good. I have scoured photos on the net and have not found a single Mk I Anson with this arrangement. The only reference I have found with these two inner extended exhaust stubs is in the Warpaint Series No. 53 book on the Anson. This is a plan view of the underside that can be found in that book:

1706573386978.png

Unfortunately, I've found some mistakes on these drawings. One is the sliding panel detail, discussed ad nauseum before. The other is the position of the oil cooler fins. In the above view, the oil coolers are both on the outboard side of the engine nacelles and the kit instructions would have you do the same (see locations called out for parts R40 above). WRONG! The coolers are BOTH on the starboard side of the nacelles as can be seen on every pic of an unmodified Anson Mk. I. Every profile in the Warpaint book has this wrong. If I had to bet, I'd put my money on Classic Airframes having based their moulds on the drawings in this book.

Airfix, incidentally, has apparently depicted the sliding panel and oil coolers correctly. They have also not included the dual exhaust detail but have only the single ports on the outboard side of each engine cowl. This kit looks to be much nicer than the CA offering so if anyone want to build an Anson, go with the Airfix kit.

I see no reason to install the long exhaust tubes but if anyone has an explanation or can find evidence of these having been fitted, I'd love to know! As it now stands, I will need to plug the holes in the cowls.

That's for sure. These left a lot to be desired anyway because there is very little that indicates precisely where things are supposed to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back