**** DONE: GB-61 1/48 FM-1 Wildcat - Carrier and Maritime Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys.

Shot the interior green on which might be a tad light (Tamiya 2:XF-5 + 3:XF-57) but I think it will do - the pics are lighter then in real life too. The detail bits have also been painted as you can see, though I should have painted that air bottle before sticking it in. The darn thing won't be seen anyway.

24020801.jpg
24020803.jpg

The PE instrument panel was glued on today. Eduard are making these nicer now. There's a backer piece with the dials of the gauges as they have always done but now they are also applying a dished spot of clear finish over the dials to look like the glass covers. Used to have to add Future to achieve the same effect. Thanks Eduard!

24020802.jpg

Thanks for stopping by.

Thanks gents. Had some fun today doing more work on this nice kit.

First, the seat belts were added. Eduard have simplified their PE parts - no more stupid fold-over buckles and itty-bitty separate straps; these are now all moulded into a single part and, in my opinion, look even better than they used to. Eduard's instructions are not quite correct when it comes to the shoulder straps though. The two pieces that you see below that are glued to the bulkhead and that run down behind the seat are correct.

24020902.jpg

The instructions would have you then add the shoulder straps by folding them over the back of the seat, which makes no sense given that they have replicated the other part of the straps to run down behind the moulded bar on the bulkhead. The below pic shows what I believe to be the correct install:

24020903.jpg

Sorry about the pics being a bit dark. I was trying to get the interior green to look more life-like but it made the pics worse. Anyway, next up was the firewall and wheel well. This is not for the faint of heart! The engine bearers are moulded as 5 separate and very delicate pieces, including the keel beam, with the thin rods being more or less to scale. The back of the engine is provided as a separate part with holes that accept the ends of the bearers and so I dry-fitted that part to make sure that everything lined up properly as the glue set. The assembly, though very finicky, fits extremely well if you spend the time to line things up. Patience is a must!

24020901.jpg

There's all kinds of wiring and piping that should go on the firewall and it's open to sight. I'll paint all this assembly up and then decide if I want to replicate some of that. It's a very busy area once Terry's golf cart goes in there.

Should be back Monday or Tuesday with more.

Thanks gents. Had some fun today doing more work on this nice kit.

First, the seat belts were added. Eduard have simplified their PE parts - no more stupid fold-over buckles and itty-bitty separate straps; these are now all moulded into a single part and, in my opinion, look even better than they used to. Eduard's instructions are not quite correct when it comes to the shoulder straps though. The two pieces that you see below that are glued to the bulkhead and that run down behind the seat are correct.

View attachment 762656

The instructions would have you then add the shoulder straps by folding them over the back of the seat, which makes no sense given that they have replicated the other part of the straps to run down behind the moulded bar on the bulkhead. The below pic shows what I believe to be the correct install:

View attachment 762657

Sorry about the pics being a bit dark. I was trying to get the interior green to look more life-like but it made the pics worse. Anyway, next up was the firewall and wheel well. This is not for the faint of heart! The engine bearers are moulded as 5 separate and very delicate pieces, including the keel beam, with the thin rods being more or less to scale. The back of the engine is provided as a separate part with holes that accept the ends of the bearers and so I dry-fitted that part to make sure that everything lined up properly as the glue set. The assembly, though very finicky, fits extremely well if you spend the time to line things up. Patience is a must!

View attachment 762655

There's all kinds of wiring and piping that should go on the firewall and it's open to sight. I'll paint all this assembly up and then decide if I want to replicate some of that. It's a very busy area once Terry's golf cart goes in there.

Should be back Monday or Tuesday with more.
that reminds me of the older Fw 190 engine set up !

Great looking seat belts and shoulder straps. Also have to agree with the firewall and engine mounts, a proper bag of tricks, so well done. :thumbright: :D

With the Anson now done, I'll be dusting this one off again. Here are a couple of close-ups showing once again the beautiful surface textures of this kit.

24030302.jpg

The bulkhead seen from the wheel well is nicely detailed but is missing a few things that I'll add and describe soon.

24030303.jpg

The little cylinder on the bottom beam is the fuel strainer and will get some fuel lines and other details added to it.

24030301.jpg

One d'udder side, the cylinder on the beam represents the fuel pump, which I will also doll up a bit.

24030304.jpg

All of this stuff is very visible through the wheel opening so will get a bit of attention from me. Back soon, hopefully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back