**** DONE: GB-63 1/48 Tempest Mk.V Series 1 - Stormy Weather

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ralph Haus

Tech Sergeant
Jul 24, 2016
Leander Texas
Username: Ralph Haus
First name: Ralph
Category: Advanced
Manufacturer: Eduard
Model: 84195
Scale: 1:48

This Eduard's kit allows me to do yet another Invasion Stripe theme. It should (hopefully) be a cleaner finish this time around and not have to rely on 'weathering' to do little coverups; practice makes perfect.

Tempest Mk.V Series 1 84195.jpg

A bit of history that I found about Beamount's and JN751. Quite an accomplished chap, at such an early age! I see these examples and look at our 21st century crop and just have to shake my head, Certainly would have been a great person to have had known personally!

JN751 SB2.jpg

JN751 2.jpg

Info 1.jpg

info 2.jpg

Last edited:
There had to have been an internal competition to see who could design the kit with the most parts!! The cockpit area, while turning out nicely detailed, is a bit overkill, especially since the majority will never be seen once the canopy parts are on. Progress so far:

The cockpit was, for me anyway, a small challenge. Multiple mini parts, each colored unique, and attached to some fragile parts. As I noted in Olaf's post (Mainly28s), his building the same-ish kit, my hat is off to his assembling the cockpit cage and no visible broken spars. Not so with mine, but you'll never see them anyway!!

Mk.V Cockpit p.jpg

Mk.V Cockpit s.jpg

Mk.V Cockpit installed.jpg

And to reinforce my comment on parts count. How many pieces are really needed to install a canopy?? Will look amazing if I can control the painting....

Mk.V Canopy parts.jpg

Color question. This area is not obvious in photos and certainly confusing in the instructions. while not quite yet at the stage to fit these parts, it would be good to clear up now; if possible? The instructions show, and as usual, sometimes overstate the areas to be painted. The canopy insert (K/F8), the piece that will hold the glass pieces, has a 'tail' that is probably the guild element for the canopy to slide? It is indicated to be black in color. But, I have not seen any images that support this. They all seem to be colored in whatever camo color is noted. It does seem reasonable, though, that this is an 'internal' piece of the structure, and follows the color of such, black.

Canopy Color .jpg
Canopy Frame Color.jpg

It looks like it could vary .. but IMHO it is a light trick because most of t he pictures was taken from the side and a such small but protruding surface could seem to be of the black while it is just in the shadow.

HAWKER-TEMPEST-10.jpg

HAWKER-TEMPEST-9.jpg

tempest_a.jpg

Hawker_Tempest_Mk_V.jpg

Hawker_Tempest_Mk_V_prototype.jpg

Hawker_Tempest_(15834185691).jpg

Hawker_Tempest_(15834185692).jpg

the pic source: the net.

It looks like it could vary .. but IMHO it is a light trick because most of t he pictures was taken from the side and a such small but protruding surface could seem to be of the black while it is just in the shadow.

View attachment 792838
View attachment 792837
View attachment 792839
View attachment 792835
View attachment 792836
View attachment 792834
View attachment 792840
the pic source: the net.

Great reference photos. I appears to me that the 'black' finish was preserved, at least in the invasion marked ones. Thanks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back