**** DONE: J2m3 U.S marked - Captured / Aircraft in Foreign Service GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Did Jack's canopy this eve! No close-ups!

I Hate canopies!

Attachments

• jack5 canopy.jpg
    jack5 canopy.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 160
Thanks guys. I hate masking canopies..........

It looks like a greenhouse doesn't it?
And now I have done the M5's.
So you are off the hook Wayne........

How funny is that Image.
Wayne sitting by the letterbox, day and night having food sent out to him, all bundled up waiting for four canopies to mask......
Silly man!

Well............ happens again............ doing things outside the box, I seem to be flying outside the envelope again.

I am using the Tamiya Silver Leaf TS spray cans as a base for this Jack, and used it for my distressed Zero, as well as my distressed Brewster. So just out of curiosity I did a test of this rattle can paint, topcoating with Future, as well as the TS Gloss Clear Tamiya spray, and applying a decal.

In the photos it is obvious the brightness of the canned paint in the picture of the plane. In the detail of my test you can see all that has happened in my test. The Future dulled the finish, uggggggglieeeee to say the least. the decal seemed to sit nicely on the Silver Leaf coat with no assistance, the water had no effect on the silver at all when applying the decal. However, you can see what happened when I sprayed the Gloss Clear over the decal!!!!!!! I will have to trim the decal verrrrry close and leave it as is, no overcoating at all.

Boy o boyo am I glad I took the time. This Jack would have been a real piece of shite if I hadn't.

Moral of this, if you're gonna be a test pilot, do it by the book! Take nothing for granted!

Declas go on tonight.

Attachments

• jack6 silver.jpg
    jack6 silver.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 155
  • jack6b2 silver decal test.jpg
    jack6b2 silver decal test.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 158
So how are going to protect the silver from scratches Bill, surly you will have to overspray with something. One thought though, Humbrol do a polished aluminium metallic that can literally be polished up gently once nice an dry, it's also easy to spray on.

No need to protect the silver Vic. It's pretty durable actually. It's the decals that need protecting and I'm not sure how to do That yet. I put the side insignias on upside down, then took them off easily with masking tape. No discoloration to the silver at all. Re-applied another pair with no problem.

I may try and just cover the decal with Future. Does anyone know if the Future penetrates Thru the decal? Will it act like an adhesive for the decal???

I very rarely apply a clear coat to a bare metal finish, unless, for example, on jet exhaust areas. I use the method I described in a thread in the Painting section, polishing finally with SNJ powder, and apply the decals direct. The decals are sealed with a clear coat, applied only to the decal, which has the carrier film trimmed close, and this coat is done with a brush. Never had any problems so far.

Well, Old Jack is on legs, and some ID markings. Some painting and parts to add behind the pilot seat, clearance lights and I should be able to get on the #13 GB, ONE plane this time.....

Attachments

• jack7 on gear.jpg
    jack7 on gear.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 145

Users who are viewing this thread

Back