Doras Galoras - Unofficial GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

OK, well I had hoped to join the nose tonight and thus provide some pics, but once again this damned thing has screwed me!!! Everything was lined up, mocked up, fuselage sides were polished up a little (the final small reinforcing strips will be added once the nose goes on) and then I thought "Yeah, I'll just measure it once more to make sure...". Bad idea! 0.5mm seems to have been lost in sanding and fitting - I thought about overlooking it, I really did, but I couldnt help myself. Out came the 0.5mm plastic card and things have again been padded out (am I taking this too far?). Of course, packing the sides with 0.5mm card means also packing the rear of the (former) fuselage gun cover too.

I've also bought a new QuickBoost Ta152C Radiator, so am considering leaving the radiator cowling off when I join everything up, as the QuickBoost resin piece has the correct radiator grills and intake ramps molded in place - but we'll see how it goes for size and it. Im almost over this thing, so NO MORE SURGERY!

Pics when things are Mocked up again...

D

I'm hoping to get both my Ar234 and Dora done for the upcoming Western Canadian Regional on June 1. The month of May is going to be busy....

Tooled around the open MG151 bay today and finished it off.

Here's how we left off since last time.

The kit-provided details along the fuselage wall left something to be desired. Using Crandall's reference and his excellent detail shots of the d-13 Yellow 10, I proceeded to cut the details out and replace the wall section. Junction boxes were added with plastic card,

A protective box was then added, also made of card:

Then the entire area was painted RLM02 and the obligatory wiring added to finish the area off.

With this done, I should be able to get the major assemblies finished off and get this baby ready for painting.

Mine has stalled and is in danger of being thrown at the wall, being just INSANELY FIDDLEY, with getting the combined Nose and Deck Lid to fit... Moral of the story; creating the Nose AND Deck Lid as one piece was daft! The major frustration is that its SOOOO CLOSE, but Im thinking about cheating a little; its not like the Deck Lid and Treibwerk on late D-series aircraft ever fitted that well in the first place....

@Wayne - if we're talking long noses and broad tails in 1:48, hmmm, lets see... About 16 or 18 Eduard Long Noses of which 3 are possible Broad-Tail D-9's, an Eduard A-9 reserved for a Broad-Tail; then we have another two Tamiya Long-Noses. Dragon/DML has Five Long Noses (D-9 and D-12) and of those two are Broad Tails (D-12).

Then we have the Ta 152 collection - Two Hobby Boss C's, Three Italeri H-1's, Two Hasegawa H-1's, Four Dragon C-1's, One Dragon C-0, Six Dragon H-1's

And that's just what I can remember; And doesn't include 1:32... nor 1:72... yeah I have a problem!

In actuality, its SEVEN DML/Dragon Ta 152H-1 and ONE Dragon H-0 I have in the pile!

But Re: D-15; having gotten on top of the Maths assignments for the week, I spent a few hours gently reshaping things AGAIN, after noticing my last efforts made one side shorter than the other - so the nose would have never gone on straight! But we straightened it up, sorted out the deck lid (AGAIN - it needs re-shaping to some degree after every time I alter the main treibwerk) and guess what?!?! IT FITS!!!!!

Thus, at my next convienience (ie, in the next 24hrs I hope!) I will spray one FINAL coat of Alclad Black Primer/Microfiller over the recently worked area's, attach the final pair of D-15 specific stiffeners and MATE the thing! Oouu!!! *tingles*

Its about F*@#ing Time too!!!

Dan

No sh*T...join the club man... I'm not even gonna go there....(listing mine)

Even thinking about grabbing a Hobbyboss D-9 to see what it's like....seeing as I've just done one of their 262's which turned out fine...

Hey, Andy,
Damned nice canon bay there. Since I an doing a restart on my D-9, I have taken a whole new approach based on lessons learned in the 1st pass (don't ask, damned stumble and grab to keep from falling resulted in a major crunch on pass #1). One thing I decided on was to tackle the canon bay side wall BEFORE I got the wing on. I figured this would give me far more room to work. The big challenge has been to ensure I am taking that wing spar into account as I get into that side wall build. I have come to appreciate the engineering of the kit with that spar. Man, that thing is in the center of almost everything you do while assembling the fuse/wing/canon bay. I am hoping to get the wire bundles finished this weekend. BTW, did you use fishing line (monofilament) for your bundle? I m using fly fishing leader line as it does NOT maintain the kink off the spool the way monofilament does. I'll post a pic or two by Sunday. I have not slacked off with my builds, just work and the restart slowed me down.
Dale

Users who are viewing this thread