Doras Galoras - Unofficial GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

No finish in sight. As long as there's interest, we keep going but it seems quite a few of our entries are well stalled.

Mine slowly moves forward - its being finished with 1200grit at the moment (maybe 60% of the surface is finished); hoping to NOT hit anymore snags! There is the faintest dab of Squadron Green on one little flaw now, but that should be able to be tackled with 800grit and then caught back upto 1200 in quick time. The Ta 183 has not been touched for a week! See, thats COMMITMENT! ;)

CAN'T WAIT TO PAINT :)

D

Got the decals on and a first light panel line wash, but still got bits to attach such as the flaps, fuel tank, canopy and aerial wire. Unfortunately the hols start tomorrow so this one will have to wait for final completion and weathering for at least two weeks.
Andy - thanks for the invitation to join - i've enjoyed my first group build and am thinking up a suitable project for the nose art GB, could kick myself as my P-47 would have fit the bill nicely!
Anyhow - a few pics from tonight:

190d9-57.JPG

190d9-58.JPG

190d9-59.JPG

190d9-60.JPG

190d9-61.JPG

190d9-62.JPG

Hey, All,
Forgive me for being MIA that last 8-10 weeks. Work has consumed my life with about 90% travel and 70% of that being international trips (far from exciting as that sounds with mostly 14 hr days). I am back and the travel demand is back to less than 10%. I am going to take stock of the Dora and figure out what is left to do (a bunch). I am hoping to hit 1 Sep, but I think I will be somewhere between 1 to 2 weeks late. Is an extension possible?
Thanks,
Dale

Welcome back Dale and jump right back in when you wish. We talked about the "deadline" earlier and have determined that it doesn't really exist. Kinda like the check in the mail.

Looking forward to seeing your resumption.

I'm moving again with mine too - finally got it undercoated in black and looking neat. Shot the Duraluminium lowers today and of course, it screwed up; not sure if it was the Matte Black undercoat (i usually buff the black upto at least semi gloss) or just crappy shooting. I suspect the matte black just doesnt take the Alclad well; should have buffed it a little.

The metal also showed up a little flaw on the aileron that I'd otherwise missed - just some more melted/deformed surface, thanks to the earlier Alclad explosion.

Thus the plan is, saad the ailerons gently (to try and keep the rib details) and then gently polish the Metal with 2000grit Wet-Dry and See where we're at... I had all my RLM76 and variants laid out to shoot this evening too... :( Was going a lighter RLM76 on most of it, grey tint to the tail (but blended into the fuselage sides RLM76) and a 50:50 RLM65/76 for the power egg. Power egg will have a masked demarcation to a solid RLM71 upper (like a lot of the Ta152 Jumo power eggs), which will eventually be faded into the lower. Fuselage and wings will be standard GFW RLM81/82 colours (using one of the browner variants, but not the rich chocolate version), with a light tint of RLM81 down the sides of the fuselage; then we'll start over spraying in greener RLM and RAL colours - especially around the 'customised' area's like the super-charger, deck lid and fuselage reinforcing... :)

Dan

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to seeing the back of it! ;)

If I wasn't so stubborn and it hadn't been talked up in the group build here, it would have been thrown against a wall by now! And with the WEIGHT in it, it would have made an awesome sound! Its a good twice as heavy as an Eduard Fw 190D at this point! Will be finishing up the Ailerons and Polishing the Lower wing metal area's tonight, I hope!

D

Yeah, well that didn't work... The aileron fix was easy, but I ended up just taking the lower wings all the back to the Plastic - well, plastic and microfiller. Tidying up one section of panel lines now, that were fouled a little by paint... Then I will try again.

Nothing if not stubborn! :)

Well I was stuck to it, at one stage! When I was impregnanting Squadron Green Putty with CA glue - got a bit keen to keep moving... And was literally stuck to it for a while! :)

Dan

There is still probably a little bit of me burried in the CA/Squadron Green somewhere, below layers of Primer/filler and now undercoat ;)

I WILL FINISH THIS! I now have all the parts I need for my Ta 183 (semi complete) project, then the 'jet' projects; not sure what to do next - Super Hornets (Aggressor FA-18E RAAF FA-18F), Tomcats (any two of six - 2x A's, 2x B's and 2x D's) or if I should work on a pair of 'Swords' (RAAF CA-27 Mk.32 Sabres). I must admit, this D-15 is sapping the 'luftwaffe-ness' out of me.

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back