Down In Flames

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

a4a3ba077f7b83d7a165b5d69fd0fdb8.jpg
B25-shotdn-Jap-factory-China.jpg
Ju52-Shot-down-KOPIE-2.jpg
large44.jpg
large77.jpg
large666.jpg
large (2).jpg

1st picture; You can see a crewman getting out of the escape hatch just behind the pilot. The center tanks are on fire and there must have been no way out except this route.

2nd picture; 345th BG attacking an alcohol plant in Formosa. No survivors from this hit, with the B25 plowing into the ground moments later.

I agree, the smoke/flames don't match the centerline of the aircraft, either. It would have to be seriously side-slipping to leave a trail in that direction.

Also, I think that photo might have been in Norway. Although there were some landing accidents during the 'invasion', I don't think there were any 'flamers'.
In the B-24 pic, I think maybe the oxygen bottles were hit initially.

Andy, which is the correct orientation for the aircraft, the one posted above(can't remember the book it is from), the one Chris posted:traveling left to right, or the small photo in your link: traveling right to left? Just curious.

Geo

Not sure my self Geo. However if you read the ORB entry it does state that the aircraft pulled up on a steep angle twice, so maybe the photo is of it on its way down from a stall?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back