Down In Flames (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Njaco

The Pop-Tart Whisperer
Feb 19, 2007
Southern New Jersey
Theres a reason why there is the cliche "Going down in flames". Sometimes we forget just how dangerous it was for these young men...
4E57A3F33.jpg
3971379985_47eda6faf3_z.jpg
6093914810_d62992b24f_z.jpg
a20-flak-pacific01.jpg
a20-flak-pacific02.jpg
air_g4m_16.jpg
air_havoc7.jpg
B-24_Destroyed.jpg
B-24_hit_by_Flak.jpg
Consolidated-B-24.jpg
consolidated-b-24-liberator-bomber-hit-by-flak-02.png
disintegration60qz.jpg
ju52.png
USAAF-41-31896-B-26B-Marauder-323BG453BS-VT-G-Circle-Jerk-Dec-23-1944-03.jpg

Amazing what these crews put themselves through. Brave men all of them. No matter what nation they flew for.

:salute:

An amazing series of highly evocative pics. The one of the B-24 rolling onto its back with the port wing breaking away is, IMHO, one of the scariest pics because you just know that the build-up of G inside that airframe will stop most, if any, of the crew from getting out. The last pic of the B-26 and its separated port engine may be from the same series of pics as a truly scary piece of film footage taken from another B-26 and showing the aircraft formating on its port side being hit by flak on the port engine. The engine falls off and the B-26 immediately flicks onto its back and starts spiralling earthward. Seems like the pilot had no time to react.

Brave men all!

It's ashame that the majority of people today have absolutely no idea what it takes or has taken to keep their world a better place. My thanks is not much for what has been given but it and my respect is all I have to give in return.:salute:

An amazing series of highly evocative pics. The one of the B-24 rolling onto its back with the port wing breaking away is, IMHO, one of the scariest pics because you just know that the build-up of G inside that airframe will stop most, if any, of the crew from getting out. The last pic of the B-26 and its separated port engine may be from the same series of pics as a truly scary piece of film footage taken from another B-26 and showing the aircraft formating on its port side being hit by flak on the port engine. The engine falls off and the B-26 immediately flicks onto its back and starts spiralling earthward. Seems like the pilot had no time to react.

Brave men all!
Yes, the terror is beyond the imagined. I have been in several life and death situations, but none so terrible as these. Training aside, you react on a viscaral level.

Thank you for putting the pictures together Njaco. It's almost mind numbing to even think of being inside those planes.

Thank you for putting the pictures together Njaco. It's almost mind numbing to even think of being inside those planes.

I think thats why I did it - that and the "accident gawker syndrome". I didn't want to be disrespectful but I think these pics are powerful.

Anybody want to add to them are welcome to.

The picture sequence of the A20 crashing was taken by an automatic strike camera. No one knew about what happened to the crashing plane until the film wa d veloped and the photo guys saw it. I have more details on it if anyone is interested. Its in the book about the 312th BG.

The picture of the B24 starting to role on its back; I believe there is a tragic story to it. This was a "end of tour" milk run on a lightly defended target. All the crewman were on their last mission. As fate had it, one of the few AA guns at this target had the proverbial 1 in a million shot and hit the wing.

I often feel that images like this should be 'rammed down the throats', figuritively speaking, to many of the present generation who don't give a toss for anyone or anything except themselves, just to really ensure they know and fully understand what was sacrificed so that they can be the Rs holes they are.
Many thanks and the greatest respect to all who had to endure such terror.

How the heck can anybody keep up with all these threads and their relationships? Ofcource Njaco should have in this case, but that will dealt with by us uber-Mods.

[cough, cough]

:toothy5:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back