Drone Pilot

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Today your flying your Parrot drone in your back yard, tomorrow your launching Hellfire missiles from a Reaper!
He's gotta start out slow...you know, the basics...

Kettering-Bug-1918[720].jpg

Only after many hours of ground school, you know! :lol:

5ee450b851663597445e8cab0cb01fc3.jpg

You guys do realize that Joe now has the capability to fly a drone anywhere in the world and for all I know, enter target coordinates...

Drone Boss: "Uh Joe.....you just hit a target in the U.S."
Joe: "Yep, terrorist training center leader"
DB: "You sure?"
Joe: "Yep, Dave Bin Laden"
DB: "Oh. * searches "Terrorists to Remove List"
• Can't find Dave Bin Laden on the list
• Adds Dave Bin Laden to the list.
• Scratches off Dave Bin Laden from the list
Well done, trooper....internet high 5"
Joe: "Back at ya slick." *chuckles to self in Drone Pilot, grabs beer from fridge and enters strike coordinates for Roland Bin Laden's address........

Last edited:
Thanks guys! It was actually easy to get. Because i already held a pilot's rating it was a matter of completing a ground course and taking a 35 question test. I went to an FAA office and they issued my temporary certificate on the spot. I did this more as a resume filler, I actually have very little time flying drones but I am planning on investing in a Phantom 3 after the first of the year. because I hold a commercial pilot's license, I'm at an advantage for employment opportunities.

With all of the rest above congrats Joe. My question would be: What does your Drone Pilot license mean in terms of operating the Phantom 3 (professional model I would assume). At almost 3lbs it has to be registered but after that anyone can fly it and shoot video/pictures or am I in error. With over a mile range this is one of the drones I've looked at mostly for flying down to the dock and checking water level. dock position, anchor cables, etc. That way I only have to drive down to the dock when it needs attention

All kidding aside, that's actually a pretty cool endorsement to have.

I recall years ago, when I was still working at my former job, I had the opportunity to look at a UAS being evaluated out at the USFS hangar at Redding Airport.

Not sure why they never went ahead with the program, but in this region, they are using the National Guard's MQ-1 that's specially equipped with the EO/IR suite for fire management. The Guard also aids CDF in the same capacity.

It looks like the USFS opted to retain their small fleet of specially equipped AH-1s instead of going with a dedicated UAS fleet.

With all of the rest above congrats Joe. My question would be: What does your Drone Pilot license mean in terms of operating the Phantom 3 (professional model I would assume). At almost 3lbs it has to be registered but after that anyone can fly it and shoot video/pictures or am I in error. With over a mile range this is one of the drones I've looked at mostly for flying down to the dock and checking water level. dock position, anchor cables, etc. That way I only have to drive down to the dock when it needs attention
Thanks Mike.

As of August 29, 2016 UAS users who want to fly for commercial use (such as providing aerial surveying or photography services) or fly incidental to a business (such as performing roof inspections or real estate photography) must follow FAR Part 107.

eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

Here's a site that breaks it down simply;

10 Things to Know About Part 107 - AirMap

and here you have the full blown FAA final ruling;

https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/RIN_2120-AJ60_Clean_Signed.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back