Duel 1/48 Airfix (Sows Ear) F.3 Tornado

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Worked on the Martin Baker seats for the last couple of days, now completed and have shown Airfix kit seat for comparison. Thank goodness for resin seat.

The build is now on temporary hold while is direct my energies to the Heavy Hitters build.

:hotsun: :hotsun:

Attachments

• IMG_0920.jpg
    IMG_0920.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0921.jpg
    IMG_0921.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 115
Very nice work Vic. The kit seats are really a poor representation, don't know where Airfix got the shape from! On my kit's instruction sheet, there's a 'Thank You' note to RAF Leeming for their help in the production of the kit. I presume Airfix can only mean with the Squadron markings, as the entire cockpit is inaccurate!!

Time for an update on the Tornados, things slowed down a bit while working on the GB, but now with time on my hands the kits were pulled out and dusted off.

Pic 1: This is the tail fin provided for the ADV/F.3 Tornado and if you look closely, it has a distinctive twist working it's way up to the fin tip. At first I thought it was me and that I had glued the two halves together badly. So I checked the second kits fin and found the same problem. Luckily the kit also comes with the tail fin for the F.2 version of the Tornado which I believe was never produced by Airfix and with a little modification (cutting, grinding and filing) these were made to fit.

Pic 2 to 6: Show the problems with the air intakes and the huge gap created by the Airfix conversion of this kit from an F.2 version to an F.3. The remoulded upper half is an abortion that hardly fits in an place over the bottom half. As you can see much padding was required, later in the day I used a little filler and sanded this back to smooth the padding.

Pic 7 8: This is the second F.3 Tornado which I decided to venture into new ground and add the forward and rear flaps. Made up of resin parts it can be a bit fiddly and I must confess that initially the instruction sheet was somewhat confusing, but we got there in the end.

Pic 9 to 11: Here we have the two F.3 almost ready for the initial undercoat spray, just a bit of masking and adding of a few external airframe bits then we will see how good the joins and re-scribed panel lines are.
:p :p :p

Attachments

• Tornado Construct 2l Fin.JPG
    Tornado Construct 2l Fin.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 98
  • Tornado Construct 2m-1 Intake.JPG
    Tornado Construct 2m-1 Intake.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 99
  • Tornado Construct 2m-2 Intake.JPG
    Tornado Construct 2m-2 Intake.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 94
  • Tornado Construct 2m-3 Intake.JPg
    Tornado Construct 2m-3 Intake.JPg
    36.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Tornado Construct 2m-4 Intake.JPG
    Tornado Construct 2m-4 Intake.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 90
  • Tornado Construct 2n-1 Flap.JPG
    Tornado Construct 2n-1 Flap.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 90
  • Tornado Construct 2m-5 Intake.JPG
    Tornado Construct 2m-5 Intake.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 93
  • Tornado Construct 2n-2 Flap.JPG
    Tornado Construct 2n-2 Flap.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 93
  • Tornado Construct  o-1.JPG
    Tornado Construct o-1.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 99
  • Tornado Construct  o-2.JPG
    Tornado Construct o-2.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 94
  • Tornado Construct  o-3.JPG
    Tornado Construct o-3.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 93
great to see you back at it Vic, this kit really is a sow. Inspires me to get back onto my Wessex and finish it as well

Great work

Jeez Vic! That's not a gap, it's a chasm! Great job on the corrections mate, they're looking good, especially the drooped slats and flaps. And thanks, it'll be very useful info for when I tackle my example of this dog!
BTW, I've had a hint that the Hobby Boss 1/48th kit will be around the £38 mark, when released.

Thanks guys, hope to get more done today

great to see you back at it Vic, this kit really is a sow. Inspires me to get back onto my Wessex and finish it as well

Great work

Go for it matey, go for it

I've had a hint that the Hobby Boss 1/48th kit will be around the £38 mark, when released.

You mean they are ACTUALLY going to release it……………..at long last :p :p

:p :p
Did a bit more on the two Tornadoes today, also made up the port and starboard navigation lights that fit on the side of the air intakes. I've been battling with this 'how to make' problem for some time now, and in the end decided to stick coloured plastic (bits of old Tic Tac containers) onto lengths of evergreen plastic and grind them down to a rough shape with the Dermal, then file to shape with a coarse sanding stick and finally polish with the four grades on a nail polishing emery board. Now they look like matches. When needed, hopefully I will be able to flick them of the stick with a knife blade, failing that, saw them with a fine razor saw.

:hotsun: :hotsun:

Attachments

• Tornado Construct  p1.JPG
    Tornado Construct p1.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 80
  • Tornado Construct  p2.JPG
    Tornado Construct p2.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 91

Users who are viewing this thread

Back