Dumb Question?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

paletteone

Airman 1st Class
Jul 3, 2011
Can someone please let me know what the antenna is called on the wing of a WWII fighter? Is there a proper name for it?

Thanks in advance!:oops:

Attachments

• Tamiya+Ki-84+040.jpg
    Tamiya+Ki-84+040.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 209
Not an antennae, the pitot (pee-toe) tube picks up the air rushing into it for the air speed indicator on the instrument panel.

It's a hollow tube with rigid tubing all the way up to the instrument...... some A/C have two, for redundancy.

Somewhere on the outside of every A/C the is a little plate about the size of a silver dollar and it will have a small hole, or two. This also goes up to the instrument panel to the Altimeter, and it is just open to the atmosphere and changes the altimeter by the pressure of the air at altitude. One must NEVER run ones dirty finger over this hole as it may plug it up and this will add great confusion to the Auto Pilot, or the pilot if he gets into IFR conditions as the altimeter will not work properly in which case charts showing heights of obstructions mean very little.

And mate, there is never a Dumb question. Sometimes silly answers, but never a dumb question.

Cheers,
Bill

Thanks fellas! I always thought that the pitot tube was the little "L" shaped tube that you see on some aircraft. Obviously, pitot tubes come in different shapes and sizes. I'm glad I asked, you're never too old to learn something new, lol.

Thanks fellas! I always thought that the pitot tube was the little "L" shaped tube that you see on some aircraft. Obviously, pitot tubes come in different shapes and sizes. I'm glad I asked, you're never too old to learn something new, lol.

Pitot tubes can be in different places, and can be of different shaped designs. They don't have to be on the wing, straight or L shaped.

But most important .. pitot tubes have HEATED tips to prevent ice up ..... when AC first land the piot tube is the last place you want to use as a hand hold ...

MM

But most important .. pitot tubes have HEATED tips to prevent ice up ..... when AC first land the piot tube is the last place you want to use as a hand hold ...
Yeah, that's right: I remember a story (not sure if it's true or not), but a DC-9 pilot doing the walk-around (or a mechanic doing some check) ended up blowing into the pitot-static system for some reason and since the CB's to the system were not pulled, he got a nice blister on his lips

Somewhere on the outside of every A/C the is a little plate about the size of a silver dollar and it will have a small hole, or two. This also goes up to the instrument panel to the Altimeter, and it is just open to the atmosphere and changes the altimeter by the pressure of the air at altitude. One must NEVER run ones dirty finger over this hole as it may plug it up and this will add great confusion to the Auto Pilot, or the pilot if he gets into IFR conditions as the altimeter will not work properly in which case charts showing heights of obstructions mean very little.
This is called the static port and it actually runs to the altimeter, airspeed indicator, and vertical speed indicator to provide an ambient air pressure reference as devoid as possible of speed effects. When it's plugged, all three instruments start lying to you, and if it happens to you when you're in the soup (as it did to me) you better have your act together or have a gaurdian angel (as I did), or you'll likely find a cloud full of rocks. You'll never hear me badmouthing ATC controllers!
Cheers,
Wes

Yeah, that's right: I remember a story (not sure if it's true or not), but a DC-9 pilot doing the walk-around (or a mechanic doing some check) ended up blowing into the pitot-static system for some reason and since the CB's to the system were not pulled, he got a nice blister on his lips
DON'T EVER blow into the pitot or static! Unless you're ready to buy a new set of instruments. Sure way to damage them. Mechanics do it sometimes, but only if the lines are disconnected at the instrument.
Cheers,
Wes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back