Duxford "Meet the Fighters" airshow, Sept 10th & 11th, 2016.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
As usual, I only went to the show on the Sunday, which was just as well, as torrential rain on the Saturday curtailed a great proportion of the flying, with only two or three serials actually taking off.
I set of later than usual on Saturday, driving through dark skies and heavy rain, arriving on the usual Fowlmere campsite at around 18.30 hrs, just as the rain stopped and the sun came out !
This set the scene for the next five days of my time at Duxford and in Norfolk, with temperatures soaring to 30+ degrees C, and just a soft breeze.
I parked the Tin Tent in exactly the same location I was allocated for 'Flying Legends' in July and, being alone this time, I decided just to stay at the van and watch the show for a change, rather than roam over the airfield and sit at the flight line taking pictures.
Met some really nice people, including two British ex-Paras, a German ex-Para, and a Canadian ex-Para and his lovely wife and kids, as well as a quite attractive blonde girl who had flown in, and sat and chatted for over an hour.
Being more than 450 meters from the display axis, photo opportunities were slightly limited, and I had a few focusing problems with the longer-range shots, but still managed to get a few reasonable pics.
I had hoped to see the Sea Vixen display, but noticed that it was no longer listed in the flying programme, and wasn't included in the announcements over the PA system.
The only other 'no show' was the Yak-3, which landed part way through the flying displays, but then stayed on the ground. In addition, some of the resident aircraft were away at the Southport airshow, and other displays, returning as the flying display ended.
The theme of this year's show celebrated the 80th anniversary of the formation of RAF Fighter Command and, with Duxford being an important and historic fighter station, especially during the Battle of Britain, and later as the home of the 78th FG, 8th USAAF, the title of "Meet the Fighters" was quite appropriate.

So, enough of my ramblings, and I'll start to post pics of the highlights, with a few 'tasters' of what's to come.
The first two pics, taken at around 09.30 hrs, show the Tin Tent parked for comfort and a reasonable view, and the crowds as they were at that time, growing by the minute, with ... er ... another of the many 'alternative exhibits' that seemed to smile as they strolled past !
MF 2.jpg
MF 3.jpg
MF 4.jpg
MF 5.jpg
MF 6.jpg
MF 1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks very much, Sander and Jeff.

The flying commenced at 13.30 hrs with the Fury and the Bearcat powering around the circuit at a fair lick. As mentioned in my first post, I had a few focusing problems when the aircraft were far from the lens, not helped by the time of day, with the bright sun directly to the front. So I apologise for the less than perfect shots of this impressive pair. The pics get better (ish) as the show moves on.

More tomorrow, with the Great War Display Team, complete with 'Archie' (WW1 name for 'flak'), other pyrotechnics, and a 'free for all' dogfight.

MF 8.jpg
MF 9.jpg
MF 10.jpg
MF 11.jpg
MF 12.jpg
MF 13.jpg

Thanks Andy and Wojtek.

Moving on to the next 'act' and 'The Great War Display Team', who I last saw at East Kirkby last month. This time, they put up two Junkers, two Fokker DR1 replicas, the 'Be2' and three 7/8th scale SE5A's, and provided an impressive and entertaining display, with dogfights, bombing runs with pyrotechnics, and some pretty convincing 'Archie', the RFC term for what became known as 'Ack Ack', or 'Flak'.
Having been involved with similar pyro for quite a number of years, I know what these things are like, and the ones used had a burst diameter of around 50 feet (outside of the actual smoke burst), so those pilots flying close to the bursts must have really known how to time things correctly and safely.

PIC 1. A Junkers takes a hit from a SE5A.
PIC 2. The Be2 gets hammered by one of the DR1's - again !
PIC 3. A sneaky Junkers scores a SE5A
PIC 4. Bursts of 'Archie'. Look closely at the burst in the top left of the frame - the 'chaf' packing that causes part of the flash, and helps compress the explosive charge in the cylindrical casing can just be discerned. Get too close, and this can be very uncomfortable, and ruins the complexion !!
PIC 5. The Be 2 cops an 'Archie' burst.
PIC 6. The dastardly Fokker braves the bursts to finish-off the Be2.

Back soon with the real World War One aircraft, in the form of the Bristol Fighter, and the Sopwith Snipe.

MF 14.jpg
MF 15.jpg
MF 16.jpg
MF 17.jpg
MF 18.jpg
MF 19.jpg

Thanks again, Wojtek, Andy and Jeff.

On now to the genuine World War One aircraft, with the Shuttleworth Collection's Bristol F2B Fighter, and the exact replica Sopwith Snipe.

Back tomorrow with more pics.

MF 20.jpg
MF 21.jpg
MF 22.jpg
MF 23.jpg
MF 24.jpg
MF 25.jpg
MF 26.jpg
MF 27.jpg

Thanks again Wojtek and Geo, and I'm watching you, Officer Hunt !
I'll have you know I've only had 16 Birthdays, so there !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back