Duxford "Meet the Fighters" airshow, Sept 10th & 11th, 2016.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks again chaps, and on with the show.

The Norwegian Air Force Historical Squadron provided the Cold War fighters display, with their Vampire FB52 and T55 aircraft, and the former Polish Air Force MiG 15 uti (Lim 2).
The MiG, in the markings of the aircraft flown by Yuri Gagarin when he was based near the Soviet / Norwegian border, 'attacked' the airfield, before being taken to task by the Vampires, but not before the MiG had got on the tail of one of them a couple of times.
Following a three-ship fly past, the Vampires then performed singleton and dual aerobatics, looking lovely in the bright sunshine.
Pics in two posts.

MF 76.jpg
MF 77.jpg
MF 78.jpg
MF 79.jpg
MF 80.jpg
MF 81.jpg

Great pictures , my friend. :cool:

A note though... the kind of a modified MiG-15bis was named SB Lim-2. It is the trainer-fighter version of the single-seater Lim-2. UTI MiG-15 was a training variant of the MiG-15.

Last edited:
Thanks my friend - I just used Lim-2 for simplicity. This example is the same age as me, having been built in 1952 - but it performs better !!!

It's OK Pal. Just wanted to let know. The SB Lim-2 is confused with the UTI MiG-15 often. In fact the plane was a mix of the front part of the UTI MIG-15 with rear one of the Lim-2 ( licence MiG-15bis ) . The SB Lim-2 was powered by the Lis-2 jet engine ( licence WK-1). As a result the plane was much modern than the original UTI MiG-15.

Thanks again all.
Coming towards the end of the pics, but still more to come after the two Duxford residents, the Catalina, operated by Duxford-based 'Plane Sailing', and the well known
MF 88.jpg
MF 89.jpg
MF 90.jpg
MF 91.jpg
MF 92.jpg
MF 93.jpg
MF 94.jpg
MF 95.jpg
B-17G 'Sally B' doing it's smoking thing.
As I have more shots of the B-17 than there are wrinkles on a Hippocroccofrog's Rs, I only took a few this time around, semi-concentrating on the more unusual angles, with a couple that could have been taken from a Messerschmitt or Focke Wulf.

More to follow soon, with the Spitfire Scramble and mass formation opposing tail chase, and the finale with the Scampton Darts Team.

Many thanks again chaps, glad you like the pics.
The penultimate display featured the Spitfire scramble, followed by the mass formation of 13 Spitfires and a Seafire, with the opposing 'tail chase', as the Spits criss-crossed the sky at high speed, the sound of various Merlins and a single Griffon being better than any symphony.
As there were other air shows and events taking place this weekend, not all of the available Spits took part, but with fourteen beautiful aircraft in the sky at once, there were no complaints from me, or the people around me.
I've seen, and photographed, the ever-increasing number of Spitfires many times over the past 30+ years, so this time, I mainly sat back and watched this beautiful display, occasionally concentrating on using the varied lighting to capture some shots.
This display is shown in two posts, and the finale, with the Red Arrows, will follow shortly.

MF 96.jpg
MF 97.jpg
MF 98.jpg
MF 99.jpg
MF 100.jpg
MF 101.jpg
MF 102.jpg
MF 103.jpg

Second selection of the Spitfires.
Back soon with the Scampton Darts Team, aka The Red Arrows.

MF 104.jpg
MF 105.jpg
MF 106.jpg
MF 107.jpg
MF 108.jpg
MF 109.jpg
MF 110.jpg
MF 111.jpg

Thanks Wojtek.

The finale was once again presented by the Scampton Darts Team, officially known as The Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team 'The Red Arrows', but I only took a few half-hearted shots, as my arms and neck were rather tired after lifting the cameras all day.
The final shot shows the rising moon as the show ended.
Thanks again to all for the compliments, and I hope you enjoyed this glimpse at Duxford's final show of the season.

MF 112.jpg
MF 113.jpg
MF 114.jpg
MF 115.jpg
MF 116.jpg
MF 117.jpg
Mf 118.jpg
MF 119.jpg
MF 120.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back