German Günther Schack Ritterkreuz Eichenlaub Luftwaffe JG 51 Jagdgeschwader RK
Career Summaries - Luftwaffe Officers 1935 - 1945
Section S - Z
SCHACK, Günther. (DOB: 12.11.17 in Bartenstein/Ostpreussen). (RE, DKG). (n.d.) attended Technische
Hochschulen at Stuttgart and Aachen. 1937 attempted to join the Luftwaffe but rejected on medical
grounds due to a sports injury. 02.09.39 entered the Luftwaffe. 18.03.41 Gefr. trf to 7./ JG 51. 06.41 in
7./JG 51. 23.10.41 WIA - bailed out of Bf 109 G-6 (Yellow 13) probably shot down by fighters. 01.03.42
Ofhr., 7./JG 51. 17.12.42 Ofw., 7./JG 51. 18.03.42 Gefr., trf to 7./JG 51. 01.08.42 Uffz., 7./JG 51.
22.09.42 Fw., 7./JG 51. 25.01.43 Fw., 7./JG 51 awarded the Ehrenpokal. 01.43 promo to Lt. 26.02.43
Fw., awarded DKG, III./JG 51. 11.03.43 Lt., 7./JG 51. 01.04.43 trf to Erg.JGr. Ost as an instructor.
05.07.43 trf to 8./JG 51. 19.07.43 Lt., 8./JG 51 unhurt - Fw 190 A-6 (Black 9 +I) headstand on landing at
Orel. 03.08.43 Lt., 8./JG 51 unhurt - Fw 190 A (Black 8 + I) combat, emergency landing SW of Orel in
Pl.Qu 35 Ost/ 53286. 05.08.43 Lt., 8./JG 51 unhurt - Fw 190 A-6 (Black 9 + I) combat S of Karachev in
Pl.Qu. 35 Ost/ 43525. 15.08.43 Lt., 8./JG 51 unhurt - Fw 190 A-4 (Black 9 + I) AA hits vic Spas-
Demensk, force landed in Pros. 20.08.43* Lt., appt acting Staka 7./JG 51 (to 15.10.43). 28.08.43 Lt.,
7./JG 51 unhurt - Fw 190 A (White 1 + I) crash landed vic Glukhov due to infantry ground fire in Pl.Qu. 35
Ost/ 32434. 01.09.43 Lt., 7./JG 51. 05.10.43 Lt., 7./JG 51 unhurt - Fw 190 A-5 (White 0 + ) belly-landed
vic Korosten due to AA hit in the motor. 26.10.43 Lt., awarded Ritterkreuz. 09.12.43(08.12.43 ?*) Oblt.,
appt Staka 9./JG 51 (to 28.12.44). 15.12.43 Lt., 9./JG 51. 01.01.44 Hptm., Staka 9./JG 51 (to 28.12.44,
then Kdr. I./JG 51). 10.01.44 Lt. 9./JG 51. 16.01.44 Lt., Stafü 9./JG 51 unhurt - Fw 190 A shot down in
air combat SE of Bobruisk - bailed out. Late 02.44 wounded - no details. Mid 04.44 released from
hospital. 20.04.44 awarded the Eichenlaub. 30.04.44 Oblt., 9./JG 51. 01.07.44 promo to Hptm.
26.07.44 Hptm., 9./JG 51. 06.08.44 Hptm., 9./JG 51 unhurt - Bf 109 G-6 belly landed cause unstated after
combat with a P-51. 17.08.44 Hptm., 9./JG 51. 17.09.44 Hptm., Staka 9./JG 51 unhurt - Bf 109 G-6 shot
down by fighters 45 km W of Schaulen - bailed out. 29.09.44 Hptm., 9./JG 51. 06.10.44 Oblt., 9./JG 51
WIA - Bf 109 G-6 (Yellow 13+I) shot down in air combat over the Central Sector, Russia - bailed out -
had taken off from Essern. 16.12.44 Hptm., Staka 9./JG 51 apptd Kdr. I./JG 51 ( to at least 31.12.44).
29.12.44 Hptm., appt Kdr. I./JG 51 (to 23.04.45). 12.04.45 shot down and bailed out. 01.05.45 Hptm.,
appt Kdr. IV./JG 3 (to 08.05.45). Credited with c.780 combat missions and 174 air victories. Shot down
15 times. †14.06.03 in Schmidt-Nideggen. [*acc to J. Prien]
- http://www.ww2.dk/Lw Offz - S-Z Apr 2024.pdf
- https://www.ebay.de/itm/314247463888?hash=item492a9bc3d0:g:j1cAAOSwhFNjgd3p