Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

What Wurger said and with an observation.
If you follow what i post on the chars you will notice that german soldiers had (certainly till end 1942):
  1. cameras with them.
  2. Were alowed to use them
  3. Took a lot of snapshots
  4. Got them developed
As with airplanes a wreck or someting could and often was the subject of such attention from passing troops. Indeed quite a while after the battle.
Look at i.g. Ouragan in this thread. How much is that photographed.

I have the distinct feeling that all those pictures gave/give the impression of 1000 of tanks destroyed. But in fact as one can see, most were just left probably out of gas or just broken down.

To give my feeling just a little more substance i collected what i came across on eBay.
The char 1 bis is an impressive machine and a good prop for some selfie for tze heimat.
That is i think why so many pictures were taken in the first place
And thus gave a bit of not on the whole deserved bad press for the performance of the char 1.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The full name is the "LIEUTENANT DE GISSAC", Char 1bis nr. 442 of the 46th BCC the 1st company.

The pic and info source: 442 LIEUTENANT DE GISSAC

Also see the post 5164 of this thread ... eBay: heavy Iron (Tanks Guns Ships Trains)

char 1 bis Gli??

Edit: Wurger: It's the Char 1bis named "GLORIEUX" no. 236 of the 8th BCC , the 3rd Compagnie.

Last edited:
The two Types By Jon Battle of El Alamein 7th Anniversary Empress Hall London 1949 programme corps emblems colour

Users who are viewing this thread