Eduard 1/48 Spitfire Mk IX - late version (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ok, I am back on the spit now that the 109 for GB23 is done. Hope to have a few pics the next couple of days after I have the frisket on and ready to lay on the green. My goal is finish this one before GB23 finishes. I have a Beaufighter queued up for GB 24.

Ok, guys,
I have the final camo on. She is sealed up and the decaling has started. Pics below:
SpitPaintDecal1.JPG

SpitPaintDecals2.JPG

Ok, Guys,
I need some help here. I have been googling Smik's Mk IX to try to find photos that could guide me on the aerial wires. I cannot find anything that definitely shows aerial wires (either from rudder to antenna and horizontal stab to fuselage or JUST the rudder to antenna). This is a Mk IX, so just what do I need here? The few pics that even begin to be clear enough lead me to believe no aerials at all. Given that this bird was flown in the later half of 44, I would think the aerial lines were no required.

By the time the MkIX was introduced, the radio and IFF fit had been up-dated for some time.
The radio was VHF, so the mast should just have the two prongs, where the triangular mount for the 'old' aerial wire attached - but no wire.
Likewise, the IFF aerial wires were dispensed with, and a dipole rod aerial fitted beneath the starboard wing. I haven't got a pic immediately to hand, to show the location, but here's a shot of the rod antenna on my 1/32nd scale Spit Mk.XIV conversion, which might help.

Attachments

• Spit XIV Build 483.jpg
    Spit XIV Build 483.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 78
Hi Dale. You can find very early MkIX's with the old style IFF wires from tailplane to fuselage but I'd agree that your rig would more likely have had the newer style. The exact location of the antenna referred to by Terry above is shown in the below drawing. Although this is from MkXVI with an E-Wing, the placement on yours should be the same. My drawing scales the antenna to about a foot long or 1/4 inch n 1/48 scale.

Antenna.jpg

Hey, Andy,
Thank you for the additional info on the IFF. I appreciate your taking the time to post this for me. I am just a tad over 1/4 inch on the length. Close enough for me.

Ok, this is a wrap. The eduard kit is just as nice as the G-6 kit. Fit ranged from good to outstanding. Not real happy with the way they did the upp forward roots, but I figured it out and got a good fit there with no putty. So, I present the Spitfire of Otto Smik as represented in Jul 44 colors/markings. Finally! An RAF bird on the shelf.

FinishedLftFrnt.JPG

FinishedLftRear.JPG

FinishedRgtFrnt.JPG

FinishedRgtRear.JPG

FinishedBelly.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back