Eduard 1/48 Spitfire Mk IX - late version (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good stuff Dale. You're going to find that the wire you added to the throttle will interfere with fitting the frame holding the instrument panel unless you can thread it through one of the holes in the frame first.

03es09_026-640x480.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, Andy,
That is exactly what I had planned on, threading it through the hole I drilled out for the cables coming through from the back side of the panel.

Hey, Guys,
Thanks for stopping by to check on this build. I have the fuse about ready to close up. The manner in which I am doing the cockpit versus the by the instructions has presented a couple of minor challenges. None that difficult though. I just want to document the whys and hows in case anyone decides not to follow the instructions. The first challenge is given the various added details, I was not able to mount all bulkheads on the same side of the fuse. The throttle quadrant cabling required that the IP bulkhead had to go in the left hand fuse (pics 1).

The O2 hose and other details seemed to make for the remaining bulkheads being mounted into the rgt side fuse (pic 2). Now, getting the landing gear lines on the rgt side routed through the IP bulkhead was the only challenge I had to stop and think through a bit. But, all the cockpit pieces are now installed and the fuse halves are now together. I will post a pic or two of that once all the glue is dry and the tape is off.
Pic 1:
LftSideCockpit.JPG

Pic 2:
RgtSideCockpit2.JPG

Additional Pics:
RgtSideCockpitForwardView.JPG

RgtSideCockpitRearView.JPG

Last edited:
Looking good so far. I hate to tell you, but the late Mark IX didn't have the Sutton harness - it was fitted with the later 'Q' harness which, in fairness, looked very similar, but didn't have the rows of grommet holes, and had a circular quick release box, rather than a pin.
That said, you'd get away with the earlier Sutton for looks, but that 'Y' piece on the back of the seat should be behind the seat, anchored at the base.

Hey, Terry,
I was not at all positive on the harness. Unfortunately, this is what was supplied and I followed the instructions in placing everything in place.

Hey, Guys,
Thanks for stopping by. I spent the last few days with building up some fiddly bit, get the wing section together, and getting the wing on the fuse. See the below pics. I got the radiators together off the wing. Gave em a wash to get the engraved detail to pop a little better. I added the reinforcing struts on the radiator outlet door with some sprue. All in all, the Eduard kit is nice.

Prop.JPG
Raditors.JPG
WingsOnBottom.JPG
WingsOnLftRear.JPG
WingsOnRear.JPG
WingsOnRgt.JPG

Hey, Guys,
I need a little help. What is the width of the fuselage band on the Spitfires? I can do the math to the 1/48th width. I just need to know how wide they were. I have searched the forum with no help.
Thanks in advance for the help!

Hey, Guys,
I need a little help. What is the width of the fuselage band on the Spitfires? I can do the math to the 1/48th width. I just need to know how wide they were. I have searched the forum with no help.
Thanks in advance for the help!

NVM, found the info! 18 inches is what I have found. So, skip this unless 18 inches is wrong.

Ok, I have the dark gray on the upper surfaces. Had an issue with MM flat. It was way too green. So, I pulled the xtracolor enamel out. It was very "gooey"... needed to be thinned badly. So, I cut a scrap of coat hangar and bent it to make a paint stir stick that I could stick in my moto-tool. I clamped the tin my channel locks, stuck the paint stirrer in, turned it on low, and drizzled in some thinner. Viola, nicely stirred and ready for the air brush. Shot that on. I do really like the xztracolor enamels except for the drying time of the gloss paints. In our Texas summer weather it takes 24-36 hrs to dry to the point where I can handle the model.

So, dark grey is on, I am still cutting the frisket masks (maybe 60% done) and sticking them on. I hope to be ready to shoot the dark green on by tomorrow or the day after. Me and frisket paper have a "sticky" relationship. But, I am liking this whole idea. I figure if I am careful with putting em and taking em off, I can get 2-4 more spits out of this set. That makes the extra effort worthwhile IMO. I will post some pics once I have all the frisket paper down and before and after I shoot the dark green on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back