Eduard 1/48 Spitfire Mk IX - late version

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dneid

Staff Sergeant
Oct 31, 2012
Austin, TX
Hey, Guys,
No pics yet, but I decided on getting a start on Eduard's 1/48 Spit Mk XI. Nice kit with wonderfully fine molding on the surface and detailed pieces. I have been laying out ideas for the cockpit for additional plumbing and wiring. Problem is I can only find MkVb pics with the detail I am looking for. I did find a nice Spitfire site (http://spitfiresite.com). This site has some great cockpit pics of a Mk Vb (http://spitfiresite.com/2010/07/anatomy-of-spitfire-cockpit.html). My question is are there any major differences between the Mk Vb and the Mk XIs?
Wojtek, can you sticky this thread and unstick the P-47 thread?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, Wojtek!!!

Here are the 1st few pics of the some cockpit work. Rgt sidewall with added plumbing. Seat bulkhead with wiring for the voltage regulator. Instrument panel with PE finished with clear flat and added clear gloss to the instruments.

InstrumentPanel1.JPG
RgtSideWall1.JPG
SeatBulkHead1.JPG

Can you clarify this is a MkXI, and not a Mk IX ?
There were a number of differences between the V and IX, and even more with the XI. I think I should have some pics of a MkIX cockpit.

Me and my dyslexia! It is a Mk IX. Terry, ANY reference pics you may have of the cockpit and wheel wells would be MOST appreciated. My old reference library went to the way side during the divorce. I sure hope my ex got some $$ for about 12 book boxes of WWII/ETO references. I am slowly building them back up, but many titles are out of print.

I have a good reference book for it, I think I was able to send off some photos to a fellow member, let me know if you still need some photos, but I believe its the Tamiya IXc walkaround that was in my 1/32 kit :)

If you need some snaps of it, I think I have them on hand :)

Here's some pics from the Pilot's Notes, and the SAM Guide.

Attachments

• Spit 1.jpg
    Spit 1.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 277
  • Spit 2.jpg
    Spit 2.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 275
  • Spit 3.jpg
    Spit 3.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 259
  • Spit 4.jpg
    Spit 4.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 258
  • Spit 5.jpg
    Spit 5.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 259
Thanks, Don! I did get the link. Some very useful shots. I appreciate you taking the time time to find the references.

Ok, I did a bit of work today. Not as much as I planned, it was just too damned nice out today. So, I spent some time on a motorcycle fun ride with friends for lunch and some damned nice roads.

Any ways, I added the plumbing between the pressure tanks. I just drilled out the top of each bottle after a nick with a sanding stick. Added a piece of copper wire and then painted it all up. Pic 1 is the unfinished bottles and pic 2 is the painted assembly mounted on the left cockpit wall as well as the wall with a tad of wear pulled out with the artist pencils as it stands tonight. I am going to go back and work through Terry's pictures and Don's link and make a plan for the lft side wall detailing to be added. Both pictures were snapped free hand through my magnifying lamp.

AirPressureTankDetail.JPG

LgtCockpitWallInitialDetail.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back