Empire State Building Goes Red for Communist China, Sparking Protest

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ToughOmbre

Senior Master Sergeant
Mar 18, 2007
Jersey Shore, USA
Can somebody explain to me why a NYC icon would honor Communist China? :angry4:

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

NEW YORK — New York is seeing red over the decision to turn the city's highest beacon — and one of America's symbols for free enterprise — into a shining monument honoring China's communist revolution Wednesday night.

The Empire State Building is set to be illuminated in red and yellow lights to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the bloody communist takeover.

The tower is lit in white most nights, but nearly every week gets splashed with color to honor holidays and heroes — red, white and blue for Independence Day, green for St. Patrick's Day, true blue for New York's Finest.

The building's managers say they have honored a host of countries, including Canada, India and Australia, but as of Wednesday that list of honorees now includes one of the world's last great authoritarian regimes.

Tourists were squirming as the city's 102-story landmark — which gained a special significance for New Yorker's after 9/11, when it again became Manhattan's tallest building — was being converted into a shining red beacon for Chinese communism.

Empire State Building Goes Red for Communist China, Sparking Protest - FOXNews.com

TO

I don't mind the color, I just don't particularly agree with the reasoning behind it. Light it up red to honor all those who've shed blood in the Middle East, sure, I'm all over that! But to honor a Communist overthrow of a country? Someone poke me...am I still living in America?

I don't mind the color, I just don't particularly agree with the reasoning behind it. Light it up red to honor all those who've shed blood in the Middle East, sure, I'm all over that! But to honor a Communist overthrow of a country? Someone poke me...am I still living in America?

Yes. Obamerica!

Next year were supporting the Bathe party and they're going to have the lights in such a way Sadam appears. :lol:

Is the ESB owned by the federal government? If not, then those who do own it have the right to 'honor' who ever they want. It's called the constitutional right to free expression. Obama ain't got nothin' to do with it...

JL

Could it have anything to do with the over 600,000 ethnic Chinese living in NYC? About 10 years ago I lived for almost 2 years in upper west side Manhatten, and I remember an article stating that ChinaTown was raking in more tourist $$$ then Little Italy.

Then why not illuminate the Empire State building for Chinese New Years, instead?

That would have a far better impact culturally...

I agree, I would rather them do that, therefore its more of a cultural symbol than a political one. Freedom of speech rights or not, having a symbol of Communism in such a public American place is not good, just for patriotism reasons

+2 Grau Geist..........Cold war over? so we should just roll over and let everything the USA does not stand for get celebrated?

Is the ESB owned by the federal government? If not, then those who do own it have the right to 'honor' who ever they want. It's called the constitutional right to free expression.

Butters, I for one am not questioning their right to light up their building. Only voicing my displeasure in the fact that an American and NYC icon would be used to "honor" such a repressive, totalitarian country.

Think China would display red, white and blue on the Great Wall to honor July 4th?

TO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back