Explosions kill 1, injure 2 in central Stockholm

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
By MALIN RISING, Associated Press Malin Rising,

Associated Press – 41 mins ago

STOCKHOLM – A car explosion and what appeared to be a suicide attack injured two people, killed the apparent bomber, and caused panic among Christmas shoppers in Stockholm Saturday.

Stockholm Police spokeswoman Petra Sjolander said a car exploded near Drottninggatan, a busy shopping street in the center of the city. Shortly afterward, a second explosion was heard higher up on the same street, and a man was found injured on the ground.

He was later pronounced dead.

Sjolander said it was unclear what caused the second explosion and whether the two blasts were linked, but said a police bomb squad has been sent to the site.

Ten minutes before the blasts, Swedish news agency TT received an e-mail saying "the time has come to take action."

According to the news agency, the e-mail referred to Sweden's silence surrounding artist Lars Vilk's drawing of Muhammad as a dog and its soldiers in Afghanistan.

"Now your children, daughters and sisters shall die like our brothers and sisters and children are dying," the news agency quoted the e-mail as saying.

Police said they were aware of the e-mail, which had also been addressed to Sweden's security police, but couldn't immediately confirm a link to the explosions.

Two people were taken to the hospital with light injuries. It was not immediately clear in which explosion they were hurt.

Rescue services spokesman Roger Sverndal said the car that exploded contained gas canisters.

Gabriel Gabiro, a former AP staffer, heard the second explosion from inside a watch store across the street and saw smoke coming from the area where the man was lying.

"There was a man lying on the ground with blood coming out in the area of his belly, and with his personal belongings scattered around him," he said.

Gabiro said the blast was "quite loud" and he saw people running from the site.

"It shook the store that I was in," he said. "Then there was smoke and gun powder coming into the store."

"I saw some people crying, perhaps from the shock," he said.

Sweden — which has so far been spared any large terrorist attacks — raised its terror threat alert level from low to elevated in October because of "a shift in activities" among Swedish-based groups that could be plotting attacks there.

The security police said then that the terrorism threat in Sweden remained low compared to that in other European countries, and no attack was imminent.

My question is why would the artist want to draw something that even the dimmest bulb in the shed has to know will piss off a very large portion of the population of the earth? Especially those who don't mind strapping on a dynamite vest and taking their angst out on those innocent women and children? I'm not taking the side of the bomber, of course, I just think this artist was an idiot.

"... I just think this artist was an idiot.".

Perhaps, but in Christian democratic societies "idiots" are allowed to express themselves -- if they use words and art to express themselves. There are no nuances in bombings.

Well - Sweden is going to wake up fast .... maybe just in time.

MM

Last edited:
The part I find irritating, is that these douchebags are going on about how "thier women and children are dying"...yeah, but not from Westerners...thier OWN people are killing them...

So how can they justify "retribution" against Westerners when they are doing it to each other??

A classic example: Coalition forces were forbidden to harm and/or target holy sites in Iraq, yet it was islamic extremists that blew up the golden mosque, which naturally triggered reprisal attacks killings...and it goes on and on.

"Idiots" is a total understatement...

Geez, all of this over someone's satire. Just goes to prove how cowardly and stupid these idiots are. They can't go after who is making them mad, so they group a whole country of people and attack anyone from there. Pointless and senseless.

Geez, all of this over someone's satire. Just goes to prove how cowardly and stupid these idiots are. They can't go after who is making them mad, so they group a whole country of people and attack anyone from there. Pointless and senseless.

Same thing happened with that Danish newspaper.

It is so terrible that they can't see humor. We make fun of our politicians and religions all the time. You don't see anyone going and blowing up innocent people over it.

Just like the freedom of religion. They demand that we allow them to open mosques, and allow them freedom of religion (which I 100% support), but then go to Saudi Arabia and try and open up a church or bring a bible in through the airport. Absolutely forbidden. Kind of hypocritical is it not?

Matt, you answered my question about the jet crash and you know the answer here is the same EGO.
and the rest comes back to a post I made a long time ago: members of any group depersonalize those they dislike/hate and give them some pejorative name: "FREDS" and it's easy and moral to kill/maim/injure FREDS 'cause they're not really human like us
and Bobby no matter how circumspect you are some whacko is going to get PO'd 'cause you're different

and Bobby no matter how circumspect you are some whacko is going to get PO'd 'cause you're different

i agree with you 100%. when you get a group of people who because of some cause ( politics, religion, ethnicity, etc. ) become narrow minded and adopt an unwavering extremist ideal...sooner or later EVERYONE who uses reason will P!$$ them off....and bear the brunt of their wrath. all done justly in their eyes....gentlemen, i really dont believe this going to end well. you can not have a fruitful discussion, use reason, or believe they will see your point of view and come to common ground. a few nutcases can ignite the flames that burn the world. i just pray it doesnt happen.

Last edited:
My question is why would the artist want to draw something that even the dimmest bulb in the shed has to know will piss off a very large portion of the population of the earth? Especially those who don't mind strapping on a dynamite vest and taking their angst out on those innocent women and children? I'm not taking the side of the bomber, of course, I just think this artist was an idiot.

Understand. Last I checked being stupid was not a crime. Murdering stupid people was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back