F-104 Starfighter.....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

here is a little blurb I found on the 104
"The airplane was extremely reliable. The radar cold be changed in 20 minutes; the engine in 2 hours. Every comm/electronic box could be changed at the end of the runway in the quick check area in matter of a few minutes - and was. Our QC crew had spare boxes in their van and saved many a sortie."

Cool pictures Graeme...
Was the CL-2000 just an upgrade version? Kinda looks like the Dassualt F.1

IIRC, it was designed to be a competitor in the USAF's LWF program of the early '70's (which was won by the YF-16); I don't think it ever even reached the prototype stage, I don't ever remember seeing any mock-ups of it or anything.

Here's the mock up, albeit with one air intake missing. Lockheed also designed a 'Big Starfighter', the L-205, with twin engines mounted on the wings, Canberra fashion, which incidentally, the same position chosen for the SR-71 so it may be possible to draw an evolutionary line from the F-104 to the Blackbird!

X-27_mockup.jpg

Last edited:
Cool pictures Graeme...
Was the CL-2000 just an upgrade version? Kinda looks like the Dassualt F.1

Well spotted FB2. I had another look at that article and could find no reference to CL-2000 in the text. I'm wondering if it's a typo? There is of course much on the CL-1200 Lancer but CL-2000 neither googles successfully (for me) nor is mentioned in this site...

List_of_Lockheed_aircraft

Wayne's photo is an extension of the CL-1200, the CL-1600, also known as the X-27?

Well spotted FB2. I had another look at that article and could find no reference to CL-2000 in the text. I'm wondering if it's a typo? There is of course much on the CL-1200 Lancer but CL-2000 neither googles successfully (for me) nor is mentioned in this site...

List_of_Lockheed_aircraft

A few posts ago Stitch said that it was just designed as a competitor, never actually entering a prototype stage, so maybe that can explain why it can't be found anywhere since it technically was never an actually produced aircraft.

Here's the mock up, albeit with one air intake missing. Lockheed also designed a 'Big Starfighter', the L-205, with twin engines mounted on the wings, Canberra fashion, which incidentally, the same position chosen for the SR-71 so it may be possible to draw an evolutionary line from the F-104 to the Blackbird!

X-27_mockup.jpg

You're right, I can find no mention of the CL-2000 in my "source"; HOWEVER, I did find a reference to a follow-on to the CL-1200 "Lancer" called the X-27 which, as it's designation indicates, was theoretically capable of Mach 2.7 speeds. However, this proposal never left the drawing board. Perhaps this is the CL-2000? My sources DO indicate that an up-rated P&W TF30-P-1 was to power the CL-1200-2, my guess is it IS a typo; there was probably never such an a/c as the Cl-2000, only the CL-1200-2.

It can be very confusing when you are looking into designations, for example in this case, the CL-1200-2 was the original company designation for the X-27 but Johnston changed it to CL-1600 to differentiate it from the earlier CL-1200 programme, all three designations belong to the same design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back