F-117A, U-2 and Half of the B-52 Fleet Many Go Away

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
No I do not see that happening for the next 25 to 50 years. It will be handeled the way it has been. Bombing the sh*t out of them, and taking out there radar sites, then the aircraft go in.

Cruise Missles all the way baby!
Agree!

I should have mentioned that when I say "drones", I mean they are somewhat controlled by humans untill engagement time. Then once their sensors lock onto a target, the go to an autonomous state untill there weapons are used up.

Then they let the operator know and the decision is made to have them leave the battlefield and come home for more ammo, or to simply sstay in the fight and operate as a kamikazi.

syscom3 said:
I should have mentioned that when I say "drones", I mean they are somewhat controlled by humans untill engagement time. Then once their sensors lock onto a target, the go to an autonomous state untill there weapons are used up.

Then they let the operator know and the decision is made to have them leave the battlefield and come home for more ammo, or to simply sstay in the fight and operate as a kamikazi.
Good scenerio - Some other thoughts....

Today target drones are used about 15 times before they are destroyed with a "skin shot." Rather than using a brand new drone for a "kamikazi" I would suspect the operators may pick and choose (when possible) which UAVs are expendable first...

As someone formerly living in the hometown of the F-117 here's the rumors I've been hearing from a now 1 hr SW while attending college at NMSU.

- Some F-117's being phased out for a squadron of F-22s
- German Air Force stationed at Holloman AFB returning back to Germany
- German Air Force staying and receiving EF-2000 Typhoon for Training
- moving of all active F-117s to another base and Holloman, along with Langley, being home to the F-22.

Again, this is all rumor and speculation from what I'm hearing from friends that I still talk to living 1 hr away from me at Holloman AFB. No more truth to it that what any of you have speculated at. Though I think it would be bad*** to not only see F-117s flying around here in NM but also F-22s and together. Two stealth planes, one a bomber, the other a dog-fighter in the same place. Throw in the German Tornados already flying here and that's just awesome!

I thought the German Air Force needed Hollomon AFB as to have a large aerial training ground.

Besides the Canadian Cold Lake training ground, is their an equivelant NATO training range in Europe?

I cannot understand the U.S love of the Tornado. It is not a good plane!

Thanks for the welcome...

To the best of my understanding the Germans are still going to be here for a while. And man has it been a while since I've seen any Cold Lake guys down here, let alone their F-18s.

I have seen some of the QF-4s flying, as well as the German F-4s (I don't think they[Germans] fly 'em anymore at Holloman though).

Small background on me. My dad is retired AF though I don't talk to him (parents are divorced, long story!). We started out at Myrtle Beach AFB, moved to Dyess AFB when MB was closed, and in '95 my dad got orders to Holloman. When he came home to tell us of the orders and whether or not we wanted to stay at "Duh! yes" or move, we stated "Why aren't we in NM yet?" For those not getting that, Abilene, TX/ Dyess AFB is a HELL HOLE! I left Alamogordo in 2002 to finish my biology degree at NMSU main campus. I always liked planes and I'm one of the few on here that's an A-10 nut (how I found the site...googling A-10 photos). I wanted to become a pilot, but in 10th grade my vision went down the crapper to 20/50 20/75. I'm now 20/80 in both eyes with an astigmatism in my left eye and a cataract in my right eye (from my dad backhanding me when I was 6 y.o.) that thankfully isn't in my field of vision. Thus why I'm a biology major. LOL Even though I have Holloman AFB to my east and Briggs Army Air Field to the south and got to hear F-117s, F-16s, F-15s, German Tornados, German F-4s, various helos over the 7 years of living in Alamogordo I sure do MISS the whistle of those A-10 engines. I'm stuck having to drive 4-5 hours west to hear it unless I go to an air show here locally.

Well welcome Toka - read through the threads, get a feel for this site and join in...

I asked about the QF-4s cause I used to work on them, spent some time in Holloman..

The Germans will be at Holloman for a while. There simply is no area large eneogh to train there Fighter Pilots over here in Germany. They use Graffenwoer Training area but it is too small. It is even too small for my Helicopters to train in.

Yes I can. It has a big fat fuck off tail ... and it's a chunky mother fucker. Have you seen that thing snap roll? It's embarassing.

syscom3 said:
I thought the German Air Force needed Hollomon AFB as to have a large aerial training ground.

Besides the Canadian Cold Lake training ground, is their an equivelant NATO training range in Europe?
unless I've missed it Goose Bay is where the GAF does most of their NATO training its far more like the North european area and a far larger training area with around 50000 people in a area of aprox 300000 sq km

pbfoot said:
syscom3 said:

unless I've missed it Goose Bay is where the GAF does most of their NATO training its far more like the North european area and a far larger training area with around 50000 people in a area of aprox 300000 sq km

Yes Goose Bay is used to for NATO Training but the German Airforce has a training squadron at Holloman Airforce Base and it has been used for years. It is a permanant squadron.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back