F4F wildcat Vs. Me 109

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

davparlr said:
I am sure the F-4F with one of these experienced Naval or Marine pilots would provide a handful for any fighter in WWII, but I still believe that speed and altitude equal high energy levels and with equally talented pilots, the one with the higher energy level has the options to defeat the other, assuming the air vehicles are reasonably close in capability. Otherwise, biplanes would rule.
I think its aircraft like the F4F and Hurricane where the energy levels eclipsed the wing loadings and turning abilities of the biplane, this it was left behind, but you're hitting the nail on the head.

As mentioned earlier, despite it's drawbacks, the F4F only suffered about 190 air-to-air losses while claiming over 900 aircraft (I'm estimating), but as you stated mainly because of pilot's skill.

Not to be overly picky, but it is the F4F, not the F-4F and F6F, not the F-6F. Further, the Navy did not "go scurring for a better plane". The design work on the F4U started in 1938 and for the F6F in 1940. And before someone brings it up, no, the A6M recovered from the Aleutians had absolutely nothing to do with the development of the F6F.

Rich

Rich

FLYBOYJ said:
Welcome davparlr, you bring up some valid points, but the main thing here is despite the 40 mph speed advantage of the -109E the F4F turned better and had a lighter wing loading, in a traditional dogfight the F4F could give the E a run for its money. In a traditional WW2 dogfight that 40 mph advantage isn't going to mean much unless your running or chasing...

The -109 would have to stay "in the vertical" and did have the advantage of breaking off the battle at his choosing. As long as the F4F forced the -109 to slow down and fight on its terms, there was a challenge (despite the -109s LE slats). The 109F is a different story.....

A Spit or an F4F? I'd take the Spit anyday, even the 109. The point here is the F4F could present a challenge to the Me-109E

Absolutely correct, I fully agree.

R Leonard said:
Not to be overly picky, but it is the F4F, not the F-4F and F6F, not the F-6F. Further, the Navy did not "go scurring for a better plane". The design work on the F4U started in 1938 and for the F6F in 1940. And before someone brings it up, no, the A6M recovered from the Aleutians had absolutely nothing to do with the development of the F6F.

Rich

Rich

I know it did not have anything to do with the development but didn't it have something to do with some minor changes that were made late in the development stage.

Thought I had posted this but I guess I forgot to push the submit button.

Not to be overly picky, but it is the F4F, not the F-4F

Sorry about the nomenclature error. I should know better. I guess old age is catching me. I remember, as a kid growing up in Pensacola, watching the Blue Angels practice from our back yard. The first planes I remember them having were F9F Cougars! I also remember seeing Navy blimps and yellow SNJs flying overhead.

The F4F with its Navy and Marine pilots have earned the rabid support it has received on these pages.

davparlr said:
Thought I had posted this but I guess I forgot to push the submit button.

Not to be overly picky, but it is the F4F, not the F-4F

Sorry about the nomenclature error. I should know better. I guess old age is catching me. I remember, as a kid growing up in Pensacola, watching the Blue Angels practice from our back yard. The first planes I remember them having were F9F Cougars! I also remember seeing Navy blimps and yellow SNJs flying overhead.

The F4F with its Navy and Marine pilots have earned the rabid support it has received on these pages.

Very cool! I remember the Angels when they had F11s - shows my age! :rolleyes:

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
Can I call you Grandpa?

Yep, I have three!

I tried to attach a cool picture but I don't know if it works

Attachments

• TBirds and Blues.jpg
    TBirds and Blues.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 120

Users who are viewing this thread

Back